Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

One Hatchback Imperfection

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 11:34 AM
Default RE: One Hatchback Imperfection

The hatchback may have more cargo space than a sedan, but it has NO trunk space because it has NO trunk.

One flaw I see in calculations of cargo space for a hatchback is they measure all the way up to the roof ... itis unsafe to load cargo completely up to the roof ... it blocks your vision ... and in the case of a sudden stop, anything heavy can become a projectilemoving toward the front of the vehicle. I've seen people load furnituresuch as a coffeetable or set of drawersin the back, and then have it slide backwards and shatter their rear window (back light?).

I agree the rear bumper could be improved. Especially for my 07 sedan, where there is a notch in the middle of the bumper to allow the trunk lid to be raised more easily ... the notch is a major dirt accumulation point. So every time you reach there to raise the trunk lid, your hand is going to a place where there is generally plenty of dirt.

Old 11-11-2007, 06:12 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: UrbanmanUSA
The hatchback may have more cargo space than a sedan, but it has NO trunk space because it has NO trunk.

If you keep the cargo tray in place (I didn't but I'm not normal, ) you have a trunk of sorts. Dark tint helps hide things too. W/5% on my backlight and sides you can't see anything in there.

One flaw I see in calculations of cargo space for a hatchback is they measure all the way up to the roof ... itis unsafe to load cargo completely up to the roof ... it blocks your vision ... and in the case of a sudden stop, anything heavy can become a projectilemoving toward the front of the vehicle. I've seen people load furnituresuch as a coffeetable or set of drawersin the back, and then have it slide backwards and shatter their rear window (back light?).

No different than a cargo van or even apick up truck. Besides the headrests come up pretty high, and the side mirros work well. My wife and I drove to Pa a few years ago in mine w/the back completely full and it was no worse than a van I once owned than had no side/back lights.
Besides, just how often would somebody do that?

Old 11-11-2007, 06:16 AM
Super Moderator

I agree the rear bumper could be improved. Especially for my 07 sedan, where there is a notch in the middle of the bumper to allow the trunk lid to be raised more easily ... the notch is a major dirt accumulation point. So every time you reach there to raise the trunk lid, your hand is going to a place where there is generally plenty of dirt.
Actually that notch was added to the 2007 model sedan as previous years didn't have it. They found that people were scratching up their bumpers while getting their hands underneath the edge of the lid.

Old 11-11-2007, 10:25 AM

i dont mind the notch at all.. i think its better that its there then trying to reach big fingers into small spaces (and eff'in up ur paint with your rings and watches). its becoming a habit for me to wipe my bumper with the towel i have to get the extra dirt off.

off topic.. WHY IS MY CAR A BIRD **** MAGNET?!?!?!?!!?!? i got a 50 dollar wash the other day and the damn pigeons took to my car like it was a brand new firing range!!!!

Old 11-11-2007, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

While STILL off-topic, I notice thatafter I wash my car the flies like it soooo much more than when it's dirty??? Yes I have tried other car wash soaps to see if that was it, but to no avail.

Old 11-11-2007, 11:10 AM

ORIGINAL: SPeeDy3

i dont mind the notch at all.. i think its better that its there then trying to reach big fingers into small spaces (and eff'in up ur paint with your rings and watches). its becoming a habit for me to wipe my bumper with the towel i have to get the extra dirt off.

off topic.. WHY IS MY CAR A BIRD **** MAGNET?!?!?!?!!?!? i got a 50 dollar wash the other day and the damn pigeons took to my car like it was a brand new firing range!!!!
WHY TTHE HELL WOULD YOU PAY 50 BUCKS FOR A WASH. wash it yourself and pay like 10 bucks. do it in your driveway or somewhere with a hose . as for the **** magnet LMFAO. i laughed when i saw this post.. sorry speedy didnt mean to be mean about that lol.

Old 11-11-2007, 11:11 AM

STILL off topic, bugs dont cause much problems except annoyance.. birds leave their mark!! and for some reason they been ****tin purple!!

Old 11-11-2007, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

Flies do. They leave their tiny little "specks" all over the place and a day later it looks likethe car's got pocks or something.
As for the purple, they must be eating berries from somewhere....?

Old 11-11-2007, 04:18 PM

ORIGINAL: jaimie08mazda3

ORIGINAL: SPeeDy3

WHY TTHE HELL WOULD YOU PAY 50 BUCKS FOR A WASH. wash it yourself and pay like 10 bucks. do it in your driveway or somewhere with a hose . as for the **** magnet LMFAO. i laughed when i saw this post.. sorry speedy didnt mean to be mean about that lol.
thats cool man. my car is a **** magnet. i was hopin i bought a CHICK magnet.. but the car dealer screwed me over!

i paid 50 bucks because:

1) i don't have a driveway to park it in and wash it myself
2) i don't have a hose or anything else to clean the car with
3) its too cold to do it myself
4)i have too much money to waste
5) im too lazy.

that's all. i think. lol

Old 11-11-2007, 04:36 PM

wanna give me some money thenn.... say around 9000 hehe.

Quick Reply: One Hatchback Imperfection