Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Newbie with questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 06:22 PM
Default Newbie with questions

Well like the subject says Im new to the Mazda3. I just bought a 2007 and I was looking at some mods to do. So my question is where to start. what should be the first things I look at upgrading and where do I find the parts. Im not looking at any body work yet I just wasnt to start with smaller engine mods to get some more HP out of the engine.

thanks alot.
Hoover

Old 01-24-2008, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Newbie with questions

Short of an '07, you don't say what model, trim level or trans your new car has?
Exhaust is a good place to start, though a bit pricey, but you won't see much improvement anywhere else unless the spent gasses can escape w/o restriction.

If your OE tires suck, as most do, consider trading them in while they are still new and perhaps getting wheels at the same time. You can usually get a good trade in trade up value of they don't have too many miles on them yet. (Wish I had done that w/my BadYear's.)

Old 01-24-2008, 06:38 PM

Opps sorry about not putting in the trim its a mazda 3i with the automatic and has the man. mode on it. exhaust is a good idea but like you said kinda pricey lol. So what about Ram air intakes or cold air intakes?

Old 01-24-2008, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator

It won't go in if it can't get out first.
And, Ram Air intakes? These ain't the carburetter Mopars of old.
Stay away from hood scoops too. They will only look dumb and won't do any good, except maybe to extract hot air from the engine compartment if mounted backwards.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:13 PM

Ok so what would be the best exhuast to go with?

Old 01-24-2008, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

Why...the one I have, of course!! The Vibrant!! https://www.mazdaforum.com/m_53114/tm.htm It does offer as part of the kit a high-flow cat and a 4" tip.

Nah, there are a number of good to excellent exhausts out there for the 3. But if you live in a salty road area, consider one made of SS so it won't rot out on you in a couple of years.
MagnaFlow had a mild steel exhaust for around $250, the last time I heard. That's the low end.
You might also have a custom made up for the car, but be careful going that route. You wanna know what you want and how.
ARK has a nice cat-back system too, but $$$, and no high-flow cat either.
And as most experienced forum members will tell you...
STAY AWAY FROM eBAY, ESPECIALLY WHEN IT COMES TO PERFORMANCE PARTS!! i.e. N1?? Stick with reputable sellers so if there is a problem you will have some support as well as real world R&D behind the product.

Old 01-26-2008, 04:09 PM
Lev

How much was the vibrant?

Old 01-26-2008, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

When I bought mine, and I didn't get the best priceat the time either, it was around $640 shipped to my back door. Ithink you can still get them for around the same $$$. The ARK on the other hand used to be about $25 cheaper than the Vib and has now gone up and over that cost.It still has a better tip than the Vib but is clamped together and doesn't include the cat.
I still think I got a pretty good deal, all things considered. It's been installed on my car for well over a year now(spring/summer 2006) and I still LOVE my Vib. Like my review states, "If I had it to do over again, I'd still buy the Vibrant."