Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

New TXV, no Evaporator blockage, no Condenser blockage but still seems like blockage

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2021, 06:17 PM
Default New TXV, no Evaporator blockage, no Condenser blockage but still seems like blockage

I recently purchased 2011 Mazda3 2.5L, which about 2 weeks later had the A/C system stop cooling (with cabin fan running and A/C button on). Noticed that the compressor would kick on for a few second and then turn off for about a minute and then start the same on/off process again. By the way, the condenser fan was noticed to turn on and off in sync with the compressor. Added a few ounces of refrigerant with dye to see if the issue was a leak. Found no leaks.

Borrow my neighbor's gauges and noticed that when the compressor turned on the low pressure would dip to 0 psi, while the high would increase to close to 300 psi (assume the refrigerant I added before may have over charged the system). With compressor fully off, the low and high pressures would take a long time to even start to equilibrate. Figured a blockage of some sort and proceeded to have the the refrigerant removed from the system. Then proceeded to replace the TXV, and check the evaporated and condenser for blockages by blowing compressed air through them. Air flowed freely through both of them. Also blew air through the high pressure line from the condenser to TXV, and found no restrictions. I did not try blowing air through the low pressure line from the TXV to compressor; figured it was probably fine.

Proceeded to vacuumed out the system for 45 minutes and checked for leaks. Then proceeded to added about 300 gram (10.6 oz) of refrigerant, a little more than half what I read is required, i.e., ~475 grams (16.8 oz). During the recharging process the compressor exhibited the same behavior, kicking on and off. The low pressure dipping to 0 psi and high reaching about 190 psi.

I realize not all the required refrigerant has been put into the system, but started to wonder is something else is wrong besides the TXV. Did not want to fully charge the system just to discharge it all again. Any suggestions or ideas what might be going on? Should I just put in the full charge and see if this solve the issue? Could it somehow be the compressor? Any help would be greatly appreciated.