Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Neutral or Drive

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 09:14 PM
Default RE: Neutral or Drive

ORIGINAL: VB

ORIGINAL: virgin1

This is interesting, I was always taught to shift to neutral at lights longer than 30 seconds..
That's a good practice w/a manual transmission so that you do not wear out the throw-out bearing prematurely, but an auto?

Sorry to hear about your accident though, and glad you came through it OK. Coulda' been much, MUCH worse.

Well, my father was the one who taught me to drive...and he drove stick for most of his life. That must be where his habit's from then.

Oh, and the damage to my car? $5500. I couldn't look at my car without crying for 3 days.

Ban huge SUVs! [:'(][/threadjack]
yea my father also taught me how to drive standard. and well i never heard of switching it to neutral for like lights longer then two minutes. like why not just keep it there. sure it probably helps the clutch a bit but stilli dont know. and i feel so bad for you. if that happened to my car. i wouldnt just break down and cry. i would probably beat the guy that did it to my car. whats all damanged on it?

Old 09-16-2007, 09:54 PM
VB

ORIGINAL: jaimie08mazda3

ORIGINAL: virgin1

This is interesting, I was always taught to shift to neutral at lights longer than 30 seconds..
That's a good practice w/a manual transmission so that you do not wear out the throw-out bearing prematurely, but an auto?

Sorry to hear about your accident though, and glad you came through it OK. Coulda' been much, MUCH worse.

Well, my father was the one who taught me to drive...and he drove stick for most of his life. That must be where his habit's from then.

Oh, and the damage to my car? $5500. I couldn't look at my car without crying for 3 days.

Ban huge SUVs! [:'(][/threadjack]
yea my father also taught me how to drive standard. and well i never heard of switching it to neutral for like lights longer then two minutes. like why not just keep it there. sure it probably helps the clutch a bit but stilli dont know. and i feel so bad for you. if that happened to my car. i wouldnt just break down and cry. i would probably beat the guy that did it to my car. whats all damanged on it?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...damage0002.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...damage0001.jpg

Thank god he wasn't doing 50 when he hit me. It's hard to see all the damage from those pictures, though.

Old 09-17-2007, 08:24 AM

sorry to hear VB's car damage......going back to N or D.....i find my right hand now vervous and depressed when it massages the gear ****, and my left foot is jealous about what the right foot enjoys doing...... the "manual" on the car is not the kind "manual" I am used to......Thanks for the advice, I'll keep my right hand from moving while driving, and for people in California, enjoy the good weather, and be prepared for the wild fire and/or earthquakes. (I once lived in Irvine, Calif, for about 2 years, loved the place, and enjoyed Laguna Beach)
________
HOMEMADE SOLDERING IRON VAPORIZER

Last edited by wineye; 09-15-2011 at 05:10 PM.