Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Need an advice on this one!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 04:20 PM
Default Need an advice on this one!

Hi everybody!
I'm the new owner of a 2006 Mazda3 and will like to know if Pentius Oil Filters Elements are recommended to use in my car during oil change or..... if somebody else in here used them before?
....and how often do these cars need tune-up? Thank you in advance.

Arlene (with my new machine)

Old 01-26-2011, 04:31 PM

service intervals are in the owners manual. as far as oil filters go id just stay away from fram

Old 01-29-2011, 02:10 PM

Stay away from Fram?...is there a reason why? Shoul I stay away from all Frams or just an specific one?
I understand that Fram regular (orange box) look like a roll of toilet paper, cheap and not recommended but I also noticed that some other Fram filter which comes wrapped in cellophane and designed for high-mileage engine (like my car) are selling for the same price as the Mazda cartridges and been used at many shops. Maybe is a reason why? Is there any other brand recommended beside Mazda or Fram?

Old 01-29-2011, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator

WIX/NAPA Gold are the current best. STP and K&N are extrememly good too, but also extremely pricey.
One way to tell if you have a quality filter or not is by weight. I also tend to look at the bypass valve inside the filter. If it's cheap plastic, or thin metal I stay away.

Fram has changed to a cheap housing, less filter paper, and cheap bypass that has shown to collapse under extreme conditions. Should that happen, it can cause a no oiling condition destroying the engine.
Granted, this wouldn't happen every day to every vehicle w/a Fram installed, but I wouldn't want to be "the one."

I was not familiar with the Pentius brand until now. I did some quick research (online) and it seems they would be fine, if not more than fine.

But you might be doing yourself a favor by converting to the 2.0L spin-on filter housing. Easier, less messy changes and easy to get filters too.