Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Mazda3i, 2.0 engine, Oil Level Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 03:02 PM
Default RE: Oil Level Issues -pics to prove it

Yeah, I finally decided to dump my age old technique of just checking the oil before I drive it and switch to the "pull/wipe/re-dip" technique they use at service stations.

Still have no idea where the extra oil comes from on the second pull, but by now, all I give a rat's *** about is getting a good reading so the engine doesn't get trashed by over filling or oil starvation in a turn.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by UrbanmanUSA
So, I went to the Mazda dealer today, had them pull a dipstick out of a Mazda 3 on the lot, and compared it to mine. They were identical, so I am now convinced my dipstick is OK.

The tech told me that the 4.5 quart capacity listed for the M3 is the "bone dry fill" capacity they use when they first fill the engine at the factory. This is more oil than the engine needs for oil changes, as the engine is NOT bone dry ever again. Even if you let it drain for an hour, it would not be bone dry. He said to put 4.25 quarts in with a filter change. Based on this, I wouldrecommend owners tell their oil change people to put in 4.25 quarts (at least for the 2.0 engine).

I went back to the oil change place, and they fixed it. They actually drained out all the oil, and refilled it - kudos to them for caring enough to do this! I guess it helped that I didn't go in there all angry and full of profanity. The oil level is now "full" per the line on the dipstick. I feel much better.

The oil change place'scomputer system strangely said to put in 4.6 quarts ... where did THAT number come from?

Another thing the tech at the Mazda dealership told me was that, effective the 2006 engine, they changed the dipstick - notjust physically, but also where exactly in the engine it resides -because so many owners of 2005 and previous year vehicles had issues with the accuracy of the dipstick reading. He showed me a 2004, and the dipstick is placed VERY differently in the engine. FYI. Sorry, it sounds like some of you might have a bum dipstick.
Sorry to bring this thread back to life.....because I am having the same issue as what you described. In regard to what the Mazda tech told you that "4.5 quarts are bone dry fill", I have the factory repair manual, which lists the dry engine fill is 4.9 quarts, oil change with filter is 4.5, and without it's 4.1". Both the owner's manual and repair manual don't differentiate the oil capacity for the 2.0L and 2.3L. Only difference is the regular MZ3 and the turbocharged MZ3.

I also checked all MAZDA publication, and owner's manuals from 2004 to 2012, all listed MZR2.0L oil capacity (w/ filter change) as 4.5 quart.

I don't know what to belive, but inclined to believe that 4.5 quarts is correct. If you insert the dipstick not completely, but stop at the rubber o-ring when it touches the tube, it seems to be consistent with the oil capacity. so I believe the dipstick is cut to the wrong length.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:22 AM

A few comments:
  • I use an oil extractor to "drain" my oil via the dipstick tube
  • Even with the dinky OEM sized oil filter I found my 2009 Mazda3 i (2.0 liter engine) required in excess of 4.5 quarts to bring the oil level up to the top hash mark on the dipstick.
  • Given that I've moved to a larger oil filter for my car I find that now need exactly 5.0 quarts to bring the oil level up to "Full"

Old 04-08-2012, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by shipo
A few comments:
  • I use an oil extractor to "drain" my oil via the dipstick tube
  • Even with the dinky OEM sized oil filter I found my 2009 Mazda3 i (2.0 liter engine) required in excess of 4.5 quarts to bring the oil level up to the top hash mark on the dipstick.
  • Given that I've moved to a larger oil filter for my car I find that now need exactly 5.0 quarts to bring the oil level up to "Full"
do you have the blade type dipstick on your 2009 MZ3i 2.0L engine? I ask because you mentioed "hash mark". Mine is a 2007 3i, with a steel cable and bob an the end without any hash marks.

Another question: how much do you get out by using the extractor, do you believe you'd get out more that draining from the drain plug?

Final question: what over sized oil filter do you use? Motorcraft Fl-400S?

Old 04-09-2012, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by wineye
do you have the blade type dipstick on your 2009 MZ3i 2.0L engine? I ask because you mentioed "hash mark". Mine is a 2007 3i, with a steel cable and bob an the end without any hash marks.

Another question: how much do you get out by using the extractor, do you believe you'd get out more that draining from the drain plug?

Final question: what over sized oil filter do you use? Motorcraft Fl-400S?
Yes, my 2.0 MZR uses a twisted steel cable with a couple of plastic bobs on it; I used the term "hash mark" as a generic to indicate the upper limit of the fill zone.

In my experience, I probably extract a few drops less oil, but considerable more sediment from the bottom of the pan or sump versus using the drain plug.

Regarding the filter, I'll need to look up the Motorcraft cross reference; I will get back to you on this one.

Old 04-09-2012, 05:42 AM

Filter update:
  • Motorcraft FL-300
  • Mobil 1 M1-204
  • Napa Gold 1085
Hope this helps.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:51 AM

Yes, my 2.0 MZR uses a twisted steel cable with a couple of plastic bobs on it; I used the term "hash mark" as a generic to indicate the upper limit of the fill zone.

In my experience, I probably extract a few drops less oil, but considerable more sediment from the bottom of the pan or sump versus using the drain plug.

Regarding the filter, I'll need to look up the Motorcraft cross reference; I will get back to you on this one.
This could very well be the 1/2 quart that's hiding at the bottom of the sump, which we are struggling to make sense of the oil capacity number and the dipstick. Thanks!

Old 04-09-2012, 09:53 AM

Filter update:
  • Motorcraft FL-300
  • Mobil 1 M1-204
  • Napa Gold 1085
Hope this helps.
Thanks much for the filter update. I've been using Napa Gold 1348, occasionally FL-400S (the new version is considerably shorter than the old one. New one fits, old one is too long)

I would like to try your super-sized NAPA Gold 1085.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator

And as a bonus, the NAPA Golds are made by WIX (exact same filter/different color,) my personal filter choice, but they may be a little more expensive than the WIX equivilent.

*edit* FYI: WIX lists their oil filter for the 2.0L as 51348 (NAPA Gold 1348) which is 3.404" tall x 2.92" Dia.
http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlook...&TempYear=2004
The 1085, or 51085 in a WIX part # is 3.79" tall X 3.66" Dia.
http://www.fleetfilter.com/mm5/merch...Category_Code=

Last edited by virgin1; 04-09-2012 at 10:19 AM.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by virgin1

And as a bonus, the NAPA Golds are made by WIX (exact same filter/different color,) my personal filter choice, but they may be a little more expensive than the WIX equivilent.

I'm thinking "a little more expensive" is a relative term. Why? As far as I know, there isn't a single shop within 25 miles of my house that carries WIX filters, however, there are an easy dozen NAPAs within that radius. Granted I could buy WIX filters online, but then I'd have to pay for shipping.