Mazda Miata (MX-5) This compact RWD model, offered with many engines options for those are who want to cruise with the top down in a base model, or hit the track in one of the high performance models, has been a popular model since its introduction.

Accurate oil level check on 2007 Miata NC

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 06:41 PM
Default Accurate oil level check on 2007 Miata NC

After an oil change the oil level on the dipstick still looked like it was on the add mark. Apparently the material they made the dipstick out of does not hold the oil so there is only a thin sheen on the stick that is almost impossible to see. Then I had an idea that was so counter intuitive to all my previous dipstick checking habits that I didn't think it would work. I pulled the dipstick and immediately turned it horizontal with the tip slightly down. With the cut out for the oil indicator marks facing me and slightly tilted back at the top, the oil level magically appeared along the bottom edge of the cut out right up to the full marker.

To test that it is accurate, wipe off the dipstick and only push it in until the o-ring just touches and then follow the above procedure. You should see the oil pool on the edge at about the add marker

[/align]