Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Mazda3 Things I like to do

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2020, 01:33 PM

It is always amusing to me where an auto manufacture will cut corners to save a few bucks on a model car? Really...look at this little piece of hoe. Should an event happen that the coolant reservoir over flows it will spray coolant all over the front of the radiator and likely all over the engine? So I re routed the hose and also replace the radiator to reservoir hose as well. Then zip tied both hoses just behind the ****** fitting to secure the hose from ever slipping off under pressure. And the silicone hoe is better quality and IMO looks better then the rubber hose from MAZDA?

Old 07-08-2020, 03:59 PM

I had forgotten that I ordered this months ago and found it in my spare bedroom today. I like "BLINGING" a bit on my MAZDA mostly because I have never really done this to any vehicle I have owned in the past.My thought regarding the Mazda is that we bought it to be a daily driver only and I was not suppose to do anything to modify it. The wife thinks all I do is change every car we own so she said not this one. LOL
So this was a 5 minute install and I must say it looks pretty good!

Old 07-08-2020, 10:55 PM

I seem to have been project busy with the Mazda today. I purchased a new transmission pan for some project I mention earlier in my thread and decided to give it a little better paint job.
You gotta love TRUCK LINER PAINT. It have that smooth looking textured look that is similar to the wrinkle paint often used in the late 70's and 80's on Hot Rod Engine Parts like valve cover. So a little masking up of area's I wanted to remain smooth and a little rattle can magic.

Old 07-12-2020, 11:16 AM

Every time I open the hood that wiper fluid reservoir cap color bugs me. baby blue...really? LOL Its gone now!

I ordered new hose clamps and incorrectly ordered a size to large . Well I will find use at some point in the future for these and re-ordered the correct size.
I prefer these type of hose clamps over any other even factory clamps.

Old 07-15-2020, 10:40 AM

With my current stereo system in the Mazda I had to get and install one of these.

nuff said!
Battery Low Voltage Alarm

Originally I had mounted this inside the passenger compartment connecting it behind the fuse board under the dash. But having to get into that area to do other upgrades I decided to relocate and mounting it under the dash at the fuse/relay box. I connected it to a 12 volt live unused terminal, drilled a small hole in the cover and installed a wire seal to prevent water from entering the electrical box. It is still load enough that should I have the engine off and lessening to the stereo will alert me of low battery voltage.

Attached Images  

Last edited by Callisto; 07-15-2020 at 10:43 AM.
Old 07-15-2020, 10:45 AM

Old 07-15-2020, 02:13 PM

Future project I acquired an extra valve cover.

Last edited by Callisto; 07-15-2020 at 02:46 PM.
Old 07-15-2020, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
I was noticing some of the things that seemed to influence the IAT's. So I thought I would experiment with installing a modified can catch on the low pressure side or breather side of the PCV system to see if I am ab;e to influence a lower intake charge. The breather side introduces hot air from the engine directly into the intake via th throttle body. So if I route a longer hose and close to the flow of the radiator fans I may be able to do some trickery to lower that temperature? Will see. It all for fun and not really to make any claims of anything other then a successes of a theory?

The can is mounted but I need some different AN fitting and also I am out of silicone 3/8 hose. I have standard Goodyear 3/8 emission hose but it does not look as nice a silicone hose. for the input and out put.

Well above ^^^^^ was the first experiment that did not go so well

So now to continue after running it as pictured for a few days ....

NOW! problem seemed to be solved?

I normally will not use anyone's catch can without modifying it to; A) actually reduce oil vapors, B) Not cause a DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code) because of changes in air volume into the intake system. I have attempted to change a few things to improve the engine performance restricted by not being able to a access the ECU to make adjustments.
I have already tried on the breather side to use a catch can and in each time triggered a P0171 or a P0174 in any combination or single DTC. Have at least been able to see a DATA logging of the MAZDA Skyactiv ECU I know that many changes in the operating system perimeters gets registered and if they go out of scale will trigger a DTC.
After a few modification internally with the main can and also an in line one way valve so far I have not triggered a DTC. If I can get a 50-100 miles and not get a DTC I will consider it a task achieved and install some better hose fittings and routing aesthetics. Then I will work on the PCV side. Although I may just get a CorkSPort because I know out of the box they will not cause a DTC and I can easily improve their vapor reduction capabilities.

This catch can is only 20 bucks delivered is not bad looking but to really make it work requires an hour or two work which includes machining and added a few addition internally.
The hose and routing of the hose are temporarily for testing as is the hose fittings that came with the Can.

Old 07-17-2020, 12:25 PM

A few more parts getting set up for the now numerous projects I seem to be adding to do to my MAZDA.

I upgraded the MAZDA FACTOR ring magnet with a
Super Strong Neodymium Magnets Ring N45

DIMPLE Drain plug Magnet
https://drainplugmagnets.com/#
2019 Mazda 3 2.5 ATX Transmission pan is M14X1.5x12

This drain plug magnet is CRAZY strong

I finally received the correct size clamps.

Old 07-18-2020, 08:43 AM

Removed the CAN to do a better plumbing now that I have it operationally dialed in.

I had to re-tap the threads to a 1/2 NPT to use the 6AN adapter

I did the install procedure of both adapters. The teflon tape around the adapter nut protects it somewhat during installation from scratches.

Installing it back into the engine compartment should only take a couple of minutes, but getting a cup of COFFEE comes FIRST!

Last edited by Callisto; 07-18-2020 at 08:47 AM.

Quick Reply: Mazda3 Things I like to do