Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Mazda3 Things I like to do

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2020, 11:01 AM
Default Mazda3 Things I like to do

I wanted to do a thread for FUN on the the projects I.... ops I meant the wife and I will be doing to the MAZDA. Please keep in mind this is not going to be a technical thread in any way. Some of what we do may to some seem ridicules, in-practical, unreasonable, functionally questionable and down right insane but hey its our MAZDA right? Besides all of us like to do things the way we want anyway.

Also a WARNING do not attempt to copy what we do to our MAZDA unless you truly believe I know what I am doing and can duplicate the project in every detail. And I have been told so often in my life that I don't know what I am doing so maybe better just look at my pictures and have a good laugh on me with my fun with my MAZDA. :laughin

Purchased new at the end of 2018 Mazda3 Touring and immediately started modding.

Since we all know what a stock bodied Mazda3 looks like I thought I would start my thread with the body mods.
I will say that i may be posting pictures with the stock hood back on while in the process of attaching my FUNCTIONAL CAI I engineered and designed for my car.

These are current pictures after a washing over the weekend.

Last edited by Callisto; 07-19-2020 at 09:45 AM. Reason: added disclaimer
Old 03-05-2020, 11:04 AM
Default Real Horse Power Parts, another projest

How to give me up to 50 real Horsepower increase with NO ECU calibration or extensive modification to any part on the engine.

This is just a trial fit of the solenoids. I may change things as I get the project closer to completion.

Last edited by Callisto; 06-19-2020 at 04:27 PM. Reason: lowered the total from 75 to 50. Much safer for engine
Old 03-05-2020, 02:02 PM

Looks good. So many people deleting the chrome trim that when you see a car with chrome it looks unique.

Old 03-05-2020, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by mazdaCPA
Looks good. So many people deleting the chrome trim that when you see a car with chrome it looks unique.
Yes I still like just a little chrome. I am in the process of making my own front grill emblem to replace the Mazda grill emblem.
I also got mixed opinions from a few forum members about my choice of "OLD SCHOOL" American Racing 5 Spoke Wheels on other forums.

These pictures below are a project in the works

This is the trail fit,before the finish polishing and fitment. I used duck take on the back to hold the 3 parts on the grill just to see how it looks.

Last edited by Callisto; 03-06-2020 at 09:29 AM. Reason: added the last 2 pictures
Old 03-05-2020, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
Yes I still like just a little chrome. I am in the process of making my own front grill emblem to replace the Mazda grill emblem.
I also got mixed opinions from a few forum members about my choice of "OLD SCHOOL" American Racing 5 Spoke Wheels on other forums.
I like the wheels. I also have a great deal of respect for people who make their cars their own.

Chrome mirror caps would really finish it off but I doubt they are available.

Old 03-05-2020, 09:19 PM
Default BIGGER Throttle Body

One of the starting engine mods I prefer to do to most of my rides is a larger Throttle Body. Unfortunately for the 2.5 SkyActiv engine no one offers a performance one yet? So I had to machine my own. I obtain a donor throttle body from a auto recycler and disassembled it. From there I machined the larger diameter without sacrificing the integrity of the main body by going to thin. The Throttle plate had to be made from scratch and it actually took a couple days to get the closed angle at 180 degree difference from the opposing edge correct. I counter sunk the throttle plate screws as best as I could again considering longevity over the highest flow capability. I did however reduce the throttle shaft size so I think that compensated for the screws? The end result was a Throttle body that is 5% by volume improved, The engine will start and idle fine and after a few months on the engine has not generated any DTC's, loss in MPG or any other negative results. I have not as yet and have not decided if I will do a DYNO test to see what it actually did for the power at WOT/REDLINE. It really does not matter to me at this point anyway and may only be the ingredient catalist for controversy?

STOCK THROTTLE BODY

The completed larger throttle Body

Old 03-06-2020, 05:27 PM
Default console custom gauge panel

I wanted to add a couple of gauges but try to make it look more OE rather then after/thought.
Auto-Meter D-pic and a Temperature gauge.
You can follow the pictures better then a long explanation of what I did.

The next step is sorta proprietary. Sorry but gotta keep some thing less published. I will say that if any upholster is really into fabrication itsa breeze with the correct materials.

Old 03-06-2020, 05:31 PM

Making a custom wire harness for a Auto meter D-Pic and also the Cobalt temperature transmission gauge . The temperature gauge will have a on-off-on switch so I can run 2 senders for different fluid monitoring.

Old 03-06-2020, 05:33 PM

Finished the panel and covering with “REAL” Panther Leather.

Old 03-07-2020, 01:42 PM
Default Ultra gauge

Gotta have my ULTRA GAUGE. I think I have had one in every vehicle I have one since 2000? I currently own 4 and a NIB back up unit.
The Y-OBDII cable with power on switches. This allows me to still have one unused OBDII diagnostic connector available as a low voltage power source or ECU access for other devices without having to unplug my Ultra Gauge. It also allows me to turn off the ULTRA GAUGE in the case of using other Diagnostic equipment or simply me not wanting to have it on at all.

Quick Reply: Mazda3 Things I like to do