Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Mazda3 Speed

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 10:24 PM
Default RE: Mazda3 Speed

I am STILL waiting on my Speed3 to come in. Hope this gets the thread back on track

Old 11-22-2006, 07:00 PM

If the skidpad numbers are similar for the MS3 and the new GT, which would do better in the slalom? Recently I also read the MS3 brakes 60 to 0 in 111 feet. Very few cars of any kind can do that.

I sure hope the new Mustang handles a lot better than the last gen. I test drove a GT in November of 2004. Wonderful V8 sound -- I've laways loved the way FORD makes the Mustang sound. But the handling was not inspiring to me at all. It had good grip, but responsiveness felt sloppy compared to my Contour SVT; the whole package felt clunky.

sstlaure, I'm glad to see a Ford engineer on this board. I wish you guys made a version of the Fusion that moved like the MS3. My MS3 replaces one of the first Contour SVT's built. I bought it new, and it now has 275,000 miles on it. I dont let anyone tell me American cars don't last.

Also, (I hope you see this and reply) what's up with the window sticker showing 95% Japanese content, but the brakes come from Volvo (I saw "FoMoCo" inside the front rotors when it was on the rack last weekend), and the platform is Volvo/Ford? Is it the S40 chassis, just stamped out in Hiroshima?

Regards,

VASpeed3

Old 11-22-2006, 10:19 PM

I believe the Speed3 is manufactured in Hiroshima, Japan, as are all Mazda3's. In some cases there are components shared across platforms (Ford/Volvo/Mazda) and those would most likely get the FoMoCo branding regardless of where they are manufactured. We require our suppliers to put that branding into the tooling to avoid them using the tooling we paid for to make aftermarket parts for their profit. Sometimes parts are produced in one place and sent to multiple plants, sometimes they are made all over the world. Just depends on the situation.

There is some commonality between the Mazda3, Volvo S/V40, and I believe Euro Focus chassis, but they aren't identical. Sheetmetal is locally produced and assembled for each market based on a ton of different factors (import/export fees, currency rate exchanges, labor rates, etc.)

This year the Lincoln MKZ (Formerly Zephyr, platform mate with the Fusion) gets AWD and a 263hp 3.5L V6. Performance should be around that of the Speed6. I'm pretty sure the Fusion/Milan got AWD with the 07MY, but I'm not sure if they got the new engine.

FYI...The Fusion/Milan/Zephyr was called a best buy and scored higher in this years Consumer Reports magazine than both the Honda Accord and Toyota Camry. That is HUGE as CR tends to be incredibly anti-American Mfg.

Old 11-24-2006, 02:49 AM

I believe in the back of Car & Driver under Car Test Digest it claims the MS6 at 5.4 0-60...Motortrend also claimed that number...That's with the traction off...I also believe they said the same for the MS3...They are testing with traction on which is slowing it down...But they also said that it's hard to launch with that off...

Name:  DSC04881_2.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  4.3 KB

Old 11-24-2006, 02:54 AM

Has anyone sat in the new Stang or even the older ones...UGH...Well hello plastic...I like waterfalls of plastic don't you...

Name:  DSC04723.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  3.9 KB

Old 11-27-2006, 02:34 PM

The interior of your beloved Speed3 is made of the exact same materials. Polypropylene (PP) and Acetyl Butyl Styrene (ABS) As are all vehicle interiors across all brands these days.

Oh yeah, and those silver panels across the middle of the dash on the new Mustang are real aluminum, not plastic.

Old 07-04-2008, 04:17 PM

There will always be a car on the road faster no matter what you are driving.

It's not always about street racing.

Old 07-04-2008, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

Here, here!!
And welcome Sky1!!
Are you a pilot also?

I personally make no bones about my NA 3. It's fun to drive, gets good mileage, but whena V8 comes up next to me and wants to play... he's playing alone. I KNOW when I'm out-classed.

Also, and for the record, I only play on clear roads and only to the speed limit, or +10 at the most.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:36 PM

Interesting thread,as a owner of both a 2 month old 08 Mustang Bullitt and a 5 day old 08 1/2 Speed 3. I have to give the nod to the Mazda on the fun-2-drive scale.

Actually my Sonis buying the Bullitt, but it is in my garage, and I have put more than a few miles on it or in it.They are both GREAT cars. But each have their own category. They will both make you smile

And by the seat of the pants meter, they are both close in performance, I think the Mustang will pull aheadin a true race, but the Mazda seems easier to whip around in, very nimble.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:45 PM

well, i dont' own either, so i'll comment from a road side observer's perspective......MS3 is MS3, and Mustang is Mustang.
even if MS3 could do 0-60 in 5 seconds or less, it's still a MS3. the two cars represent different things....prestige, image, of their owners (if you see it that way). Mechnical merit is one thing, perception (or sentimental merit) is another, and we all know perception is reality, isn't it. if i had a mustang, i would not trade with MS3, no matter how fast it does in 0-60, or in 1/4 mile, etc etc......

________
Nexium withdraw

Last edited by wineye; 09-15-2011 at 05:32 PM.