Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Mazda3 2005 Air Bags failed to open after frontal crash

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 02:50 PM
Default RE: Mazda3 2005 Air Bags failed to open after frontal crash

ORIGINAL: icspots

He actually would've been better off to hit something that spread the impact point over a larger area. That would have absorbed the energy better than hitting a long thin structure.
I disagree. The fact that the airbags didn't deploy speaks to the severity of the loads applied to the vehicle during impact. (Assuming everything is working correctly) However, the apparent damage to the car may have been less severe if the impact had been over a wider portion of the car.

Old 09-26-2006, 11:30 AM

ORIGINAL: icspots

ORIGINAL: kryptonite514As I said before the divider made it a good way into the bodfy of the car. This dissapated the energy over a longer amount of time. You should be able to get the technical data on the accelerometers in the car. I would assume they weren't far from deploying. This is stuff Mazda technically could provide you. I'm sorry they don't seem to be taking this or you very seriously.
He actually would've been better off to hit something that spread the impact point over a larger area. That would have absorbed the energy better than hitting a long thin structure.
Negative. If he were to hit a solid wall oriented perpendicular to the motion of his car then the car would have deccelerated at a much higher rate because the energy would be dispersed over a larger area. Because the object he hit was rather thin relative to the size of the car, the force was exerted on a smaller area of the car, this allowed the car to travel longer after the initial impact since the divider he hit penetrated rather far into the front of the vehicle.

Please do not misunderstand what I'm saying though. In general it is not safer to aim for narrower objects rather than larger ones. This instance is a toss up...

If he had hit a solid wall the airbags might have deployed and his wife probably wouldn't have suffered as direct a trauma to her throat. However the force of the greater decceleration poses risk for more serious injuries.

Of course we all can only speculate.

Old 09-26-2006, 12:37 PM

yeah lets go nascar style. Get the big Bell safety belts and wear a helmet. Plus have the HANS device and a fire suit! Then we should be safe! Then lets talk restricting!