Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Mazda3 2005 Air Bags failed to open after frontal crash

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 07:14 AM
Default Mazda3 2005 Air Bags failed to open after frontal crash

You can see the photo of our car crash:
http://org72.zorpia.com/0/1734/11098416.fb9a95.jpg
http://org72.zorpia.com/0/1781/11404275.da02df.jpg

This incident happened in May 9, 2006 at EDSA Road, Metro Manila, Philippines.

11 days after the incident, representatives of Ford and Mazda Philippines met with us. Their investigation have concluded that we were not moving fast enough at impact to deploy the air bags.

Though our seatbelts kept us from getting thrown off, without the air bags, I hit the steering wheel while my wife hit the dashboard while clinging to our dog, who was still in her arms after the crash. My wife had her chin split open and had a bruised throat. I had stitches in the interior of my bottom lip, a bloody nose, a bruised forehead.

Incidentally, Mazda then gave us the car estimate of the damage and said that the damage was enough to declare it a total wreck.

They let our insurance handle all damages and hospital bills. They also denied our request for a temporary car.

Old 05-21-2006, 01:59 PM
Default RE: Mazda3 2005 Air Bags failed to open after frontal crash

Well how fast were you going?

Old 05-21-2006, 07:55 PM

60 kph. You can see the damage at

http://org72.zorpia.com/0/1734/11098416.fb9a95.jpg

Old 05-22-2006, 01:16 AM

I do not see how you or the wife could have sustained these types of injuries IF you were wearing the seatbelts. I have seen many people who wear the seatbelts improperly and get injured. My friend is one who likes to use the lap belt properly and put the shoulder belt behind his back. There is no way to strike the dash or steering wheel if worn properly.

The car has to be going approx 20 MPH for the air bags to deploy in a crash. I can see this being less than that as these cars have crumple zones made to absorb an impact and can this will make the crash look worse.

The Ford and Mazda reps can hook up a special tool that can interface with the vehicles air bag module that can tell everything that was happening even before the collision. It acts as a "black box" on an airplane. It can tell everything from speed, how hard brakes applied, what sensors tripped, time, date, etc, etc, etc............. It called a snapshot.

Old 05-22-2006, 02:13 AM

We were driving at 60 kph or 36 mph. Having 15 years driving experience, I wouldn't have hit that road divider driving at a slow speed 20 mph (33 kph). My 60 kph speed is actually a low estimate.

I have a bruised left shoulder because of the seat belt. My wife's right shoulder was also sore. 14 years ago, I also crashed my Toyota Corolla '90 while wearing my seat belt and I suffered a cut at my left eye brow.

Old 05-22-2006, 02:25 AM

Thank you for mentioning about that "black box". I guess the Mazda3 didn't have them so the only evidence we have about the speed at impact is the wreck.

Old 05-22-2006, 10:12 AM

Airbags are meant as "supplemental" restraints. They only deploy in instances where they are necessary. While your injuries may hurt a little, it appears no one was "seriously" injured (the types of injuries all airbags in all cars of all makes/models are meant to try to prevent.) Having the airbags deploy in every crash would seriously increase repair/insurance costs (This is true for all cars equipped with airbags.)

I would say you have nothing to worry about. The restraints "system" did it's job and prevented any kind of serious injury in what looks to be a decent impact. (Did that barrier jump into your lane or something?)

Do you wear your seatbelt tight across your chest? I'd be willing to bet not. I cinch the belt down tight across my lap/chest when I drive.

Old 05-22-2006, 12:40 PM

damn...I guess its good that nothing more serious happened...

Old 05-22-2006, 12:44 PM

ORIGINAL: sstlaureay
Airbags are meant as "supplemental" restraints. They only deploy in instances where they are necessary. While your injuries may hurt a little, it appears no one was "seriously" injured (the types of injuries all airbags in all cars of all makes/models are meant to try to prevent.) Having the airbags deploy in every crash would seriously increase repair/insurance costs (This is true for all cars equipped with airbags.)

I would say you have nothing to worry about. The restraints "system" did it's job and prevented any kind of serious injury in what looks to be a decent impact. (Did that barrier jump into your lane or something?)

Do you wear your seatbelt tight across your chest? I'd be willing to bet not. I cinch the belt down tight across my lap/chest when I drive.
The bottom line is the impact destroyed the whole front section. Mazda declared it to our insurance as a total wreck. If a crash like that doesn't open the air bag, how am I assured that it will open at a harder impact?

I am always reminded of wearing a seat belt ever since my last accident 14 years ago when I crashed my '90 Toyota Corolla to a concrete wall. I was grateful for wearing my seat belt then because my only injury was a cut at my left eye after I slammed my face to the steering wheel.

Old 05-22-2006, 01:49 PM

ORIGINAL: romanmojica

The bottom line is the impact damaged the whole front section of the car up to the transmission (which you can't even shift anymore). Mazda themselves will declare it to our insurance as a total wreck. If a crash like that doesn't open the air bag, how am I assured that it will open at a harder impact?? I wouldn't want to find out and I wouldn't want any of my other friends currently driving a Mazda3 to find out for themselves too.
Airbags work off of a system of sensors distributed throughout the car that detect the loads being applied and the direction in which they are being applied. All cars (including the Mazda3) go through an extensive design cycle that programs the restraints control module to deploy when the conditions warrant it. North America has the most stringent safety requirements with regards to restraints, and the Mazda3 is highly rated here for safety. (It would have scored even better had Side Impact airbags been standard, but I like the fact you have the option not to get the extra airbags to save $$$) The airbags will deploy if they are needed. The extent of your injuries seems to indicate that they weren't needed.

ORIGINAL: romanmojica
I have been driving for 15 years and I am always reminded of wearing a seat belt ever since my last accident 14 years ago when I crashed my '90 Toyota Corolla to a concrete wall with my seat belt on. I was grateful for wearing my seat belt then because my only injury was a cut at my left eye after I slammed my face to the steering wheel.

We all know that at times, the seat belt may not be enough. There have been numerous cases of faulty seat belts. That is why we need that supplementary restraint. There is no doubt that we needed that air bag.
Can you provide any detail on the "numerous cases of faulty seat belts" This would have triggered a recall and in my line of work, I would have heard about it.

I also always wear my seatbelt (and make sure it is fastened correctly) after one of my friend's was killed in highschool in a car accident in which he was ejected from the vehicle.

Also keep in mind that the recline position of your seat will affect how well your belts work. If you are reclined too far back, your torso will be able to accelerate for a period of time before impacting the seatbelts and decelerating. This will cause your torso to rotate somewhat around your shoulder belt and can cause you to move more than you would if you were properly restrained.

I see plenty of people wearing seatbelts, I see very few wearing them correctly.

Quick Reply: Mazda3 2005 Air Bags failed to open after frontal crash