Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Picture of Air bags deployment?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 07:05 PM
Default Picture of Air bags deployment?

Hello everyone,

My wife and I have just purchased a Garmin C340 for our 2007 Mazda 3 S Touring. My wife's prefered location for the device is on the top left of the front windshield. That is, the device can be easily seen and reachable towards your top left.

She has driven around with it at that location and it has proven to be very accessible and easy to read and identify everything on the screen. My concern is, however, that the Curtain air bags can snap the device from the device holder upon deployment, thus potentially causing the device to hi the driver in the head.

I called Mazda and had them send me a picture of a Mazda 3 with all the air bags deployed. The most they could do was send me a blown-up version of the picture included in the marketing handout for the 2007 Mazda 3. The picture doesn't clearly show the limits of the curtain air bags.... In all, I need to know whether the curtain air bags also cover part of the front windshield, where the device would be.....or does it only cover the extends of the door window.

Any help from this forum would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Ed Vergara

Old 12-15-2006, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Picture of Air bags deployment?

I'm not sure exactly how far the curtain air bags extend towards the center of the car. I would guess count on an inch or two. I think the bigger problem would be the a-post cover being very forcibly pushed off of the airbag when it deploys.

How close to the A-post are you installing this (pictures are helpful :P) Is there anywhere else it will fit that you'd both be happy, and avoid this problem? (e.g. above the rearview mirror?)