Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Mazda 3 takes at least three turns to start

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 01:33 PM
Default Mazda 3 takes at least three turns to start

Hi, I have an automatic transmission2004 Mazda 3, I bought it new with 1 mi. on it. I have never been in a wreck and treat the car pretty decent. About 6 months or so ago I noticed that I needed to turn the key for about 10 seconds or turn, stop, turn again, stop and turn one more time before it would start. I noticed that if I had a full tank of gas it didn't require this. Well, now it's gotten to the point where even if I have a full tank it still does this and it's gotten to the point where the car convulses (it just shakes like I let of the clutch or something)if I turn the key for too long... I have replaced the battery and it still did this, we also replaced the spark plugs, and put a fuel cleanser in it. Nothing has helped. I don't know if anyone might now what the problem is?

Old 08-08-2007, 01:44 PM
Default RE: Mazda 3 takes at least three turns to start

How many miles on the car? Try putting a container of Ethyl Alcohol (also known as dry gas) into your gas tank. Run it down as far as you can go and repeat. You may have some condensation (water) in the tank, doing the above procedure should dry this out if it is the problem.

Old 08-08-2007, 01:47 PM

I had that problem a couple months back too. I took my car to the dealer because its still under warranty =) they said it had something to do with the fuel pump and replaced it with a new one. I also have an automatic. I suggest that you bring it in and have them look at it.

Old 08-08-2007, 02:20 PM

My car now has 65K miles on it... it just started out of the blue one day... I think my dad thought I had put some bad gas in it, lol. I was planning on taking it to the dealership but I didn't want to have to pay so much if it was something that maybe my dad could fix.

Old 08-08-2007, 05:54 PM

It has to do with the fuel filter when you cycle the key 3 times you are priming the injector rail with fuel, which means your fuel filter is probably pluged. The fuel filter is above the gas tank but you can only get it if you buy the fuel pump with it.

I have the same problem with my 04 mazda 3 2.3 5spd. if you change it it will even increase your fuel milage. its like a 250+ $ part.

Old 08-08-2007, 06:05 PM
Super Moderator

It's also possible it's the fuel pump itself. They were a notorious problem with the '04 models..... at least on the 2.0.... not sure about the 2.3. Which do you have?

Old 08-09-2007, 11:14 AM

I have a 2.3 liter. Yeah, my dad said he thought it was the either the filter or the pump... is this something he can do himself if I buy the parts? Or will the dealership have to do this? I know he doesn't want to have to get into the tank... if we buy and let the dealership handle do you know approx. how much it would cost?