Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Mazda 3 2014 - notchy gearbox

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 12:39 PM
Default Mazda 3 2014 - notchy gearbox

Hi,
New to this forum and also owns a Mazda for the first time, a new Mazda 3 2014, 2.0L, Vision, 155 bhp (165 hp), 6-manual. Absolutely thrilled by the car in general, I think it is a great buy so far after three weeks and approx. 1400 km.

On little (?) glitch though: I have looked forward to finally driving a car that has a slick manual gearbox, in comparison to my former VW Golf Mk 4 1.6 that was utterly useless in that regard. But? Well, the gearbox is slick alright, but that is only in revs at 3000 rpm and above. In the lower revs you can definitely feel the synchros grind if swithcing a bit to quick or carelessly. This is to such a degree, that I have started to switch gears with the old trick to pay a little quick visit in neutral when at low revs. All this is especially noticable when gearbox is cold.

In short: Low revs and for instance 1-2 directly or 2-3 directly results in a crunch or feel of synchros. Low revs 1-neutral-2 or 2-neutral-3 (just a quick flick through neutral, like moving the runner on a chessboard) results in no crunch at all, like butter. High revs 3000 rpm or above results in no crunch, like butter.

Sure, I can live with this, but is this normal for a brand new car? Does the gearbox have a time of wearing in? Adjustment of gear change cables? Change of gearbox oil? Is this really Mazda-like, shouldn't its gearbox be phenomenal? (It is difficult to admit as a recent Mazda-owner, but the new Honda Civic ditto is better, at least so far.)

The clutch is fault-free with no excessive play in up position, and the level of brake/clutch fluid is at max.

I would be thankful for any tips and if anyone else has experienced the same. Thought it could be wise to know a little bit more before I contact my retailer in Sweden.

Other than that mentioned above, I am as said crazy about the car!

Old 09-02-2014, 03:35 AM
Super Moderator

Take it back to the dealer and get the workshop foreman to go for a drive with you.

Old 09-05-2014, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

If you're noticing it more at low temperatures, and/or when it isn't warmed up then a gear oil change might help you. I (like many) switched over to Redline MT-90 and while it's not a perfect replacement it does much better in cold weather, and cold start periods.

Old 09-20-2014, 03:15 AM

Latest report about my notchy gearbox:

I'm glad to say that it seems that my reteller has right, following his advice I've continued driving as usual and been only semi-careful with the gearbox ... and voila, the gears has really loosened up, the crunching is decreasing. Apparently it needed some miles to wear in.

So far the best car I've ever owned (of a total of 6), a really good buy.