Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Learning about cars

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 03:10 PM
Default Learning about cars

I know nothing about cars. Maybe I can do an oil change or change a flat, but that's about it. Then I read posts on how people are moding their cars and doing all sorts of things to supe them up. Some posts talk about problems encountered and possible solutions but I have no idea what they are talking about because I know nothing about cars.

Can anyone recommend any websites, books, or TV shows to watch that would help me increase my knowledge of cars? I have no friends that share this interest so I need to look to the web. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!

Old 06-01-2007, 03:24 PM
Default RE: Learning about cars

I just learned through doing. I found manuals and do most maintenance myself. I read forums on a daily basis, I watch speed channel on the weekends and learn about the cars.

I am just facinated by them so I absorb the information on them.

Download some manuals on repair and go from there if you want to learn the internals.

I also had a step-dad that rebuilt his 1976 Harley FLH from ground up...I remmeber the days when the pistons, rods, rings, etc...were sitting on our family room table and my mom going...WTF!?!?!?!?!

Old 06-01-2007, 03:49 PM

youd be surprised how much you'd learn on forums like these.
and if you ever have a problem, just post your question in the appropiate section, and we will most likely answer it for ya.

but i def. like learning by doing.
it also makes everything more satisfying in the end...
for example, i lowered my car myself, which required removal of the strut assembly, disassembly of the struts, and replacing the springs and then the struts....
and now im about to do a magnaflow catback on my car, and im also doing this myself.

Old 06-01-2007, 08:36 PM

knowledge comes with hands-on experience, questions, research...

and, if you ever come across an auto-term you dont know, research it here...http://www.100megsfree4.com/dictionary/car-dica.htm