Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

mod advice/performance

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 10:31 AM
Default mod advice/performance

Hey guys, new to the site. I am the proud owner of a 5speed 1.6l 1999 dx mileage 95203 . I have been relatively happy with this vehicle so far but there have been several nagging problems with it and now that I am getting a real job and a real paycheck I wanna clean it up and and make it more fun to drive. I am thinking struts are gonna be the first replacement. Any advice? I am gonna try to do the front first then the back as funds become available. Do I have to do springs too? I am not looking to lower my car I just wanna tighten it up. Also anyone from upstate NY in here?

Old 03-22-2007, 02:31 PM
Default RE: mod advice/performance

well if you are going to do your struts you might as well do all four.
you dont have to get springs but while you are at it.
no point in pulling off your struts twice.

a good place to look for parts is www.corksport.com
derek ambrose from corksport will give you a ton of information when you are making your purchase
just make sure to give him all the info on your car.

he said they are currently working on a 99 or 2k protege with 450ish whp. so they have alot of good parts for them
but he said the problem is , is that they cant go any higher cause they keep breaking axels

Old 03-23-2007, 12:44 AM
Default RE: mod advice/performance

you're right, corksport is a great site for mazdas. if you haven't noticed, since we don't own honda civics with b16a's, parts are hard to find for our cars. that's the price we pay for being different i guess.

i would definitely recommend being patient with mods and just save the money to do it all at once. i mean what's the wait time really when you are planning on having the car for a while i'm sure. a matched set of struts are really important so i would just wait until you have the money to do all four at once.

another site that you can look at is www.horsepowerfreaks.com . i just recently discovered this site and they have all of the stuff that are odds and ends that no one else carries. i got a set of motor mounts from that site and that is a mod that i definitely recommend due to the wheel-hop that we have on our front-wheel-drive cars. now my car just burns tires when i stomp on it and locks them up when i want it to. they were about $175 delivered for both of the mounts and worth every penny.