Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Knocking sound from engine bay

Old 07-12-2019, 01:22 PM
Default Knocking sound from engine bay

This is my first post here so I hope I get this right.

I currently drive a 2008 Mazda 3 Takara 1.6 turbo diesel, we've had the car for a few years now and originally bought by my father and then driven by my sister and now I drive it. It recently had a new turbo fitted along with a new intercooler by a local mechanic who I believe changed the oil as well but I am not 100% sure if it was done. The car currently has 92k miles on it which should be nothing for a diesel engine.

Earlier today, 12th July 2019, I was travelling home when I had to stop at some traffic lights for roadworks that are continuing near my home. I switched the car off as the lights take some time to change again and on restarting the car and pulling off from the lights i noticed a knocking sound that originates in the engine bay but I am not sure if its big end or if a bearing in the accessory drive has gone as. I have attached a youtube link to a video I took if the noise both at idle and when the engine is revved.

I don't see how it would developed a rod knock when it has oil, pump is still functioning as far as I am aware and was not excessively revving the engine?