Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

knocking sound and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 11:13 AM
Default knocking sound and vibration

I have a 2000 Protege and when I drive it there is a knocking sound and it sounds like it's coming from the right front. I noticed that it doesn't make the souund when I am either on the gas or brake. The car also vibrates pretty bad when I get up to about 65 or 70. My first thought was that it's my wheel bearing or something that. If anybody knows what it is for sure, let me know because I want to get this checked out and fixed asap.

Old 08-05-2007, 04:00 PM
Default RE: knocking sound and vibration

The knocking thing is usually either the timing belt tensioner that's become loose, or the valve lifters that are not getting enough lubrication, or are stuck. Try adding a can of something called RESTORE in your engine and see if that helps. I've had very good results with that oil additive before. http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/...DL._AA229_.jpg
My '97 626 had similar problem, and the only thing that took the knock away was that very same RESTORE.

The vibration could be caused by a tire that's going bad and is developing a lump, or something in your front axle.

Old 08-05-2007, 10:01 PM

The knocking and most of the vibration was caused from 3 out of 4 lug nuts on my right front tire being loose. The nuts were so loose i could take them off with my fingers. There is still a little vibration in my car, but you wouldn't be able to tell unless i mentioned it. I'm lucky my tire didn't fall off when i was doing 75 on the highway yesterday.

Old 08-09-2007, 03:46 PM

ORIGINAL: jdgibbs

The knocking and most of the vibration was caused from 3 out of 4 lug nuts on my right front tire being loose. The nuts were so loose i could take them off with my fingers. There is still a little vibration in my car, but you wouldn't be able to tell unless i mentioned it. I'm lucky my tire didn't fall off when i was doing 75 on the highway yesterday.

Oh, so it turned out to be something completely different then...lol. Good thing you caught it in time.