Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Key Fob not working

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2022, 11:27 AM
Default Key Fob not working

So over the past couple of days my fob has not been working. When I go to unlock the car with keyless entry on the door nothing happens. So I pull out the fob and try to unlock it that way but again nothing will happen. I’ll then pull out the key itself and unlock the doors manually and I can get in fine but the car won’t start, it doesn’t recognize the key I assume. The alarm will start to go off after that but I have no way to turn it off as the car won’t start and the fob won’t work. It’ll go off for a few minutes and then the key will just start to work again like nothing happened.

Would this be a low battery issue in my fob, I tried both fobs this morning and the same thing happened with both. So do I need to change the battery on my fobs. Or re pair the keys itself, or reprogram anything?

thank you!

Old 12-15-2022, 12:14 PM

It'll help if you add your car model and year, yes it could be the battery CR2025, FOB is nothing more than a encrypted RFID with an amplifier. The receiver coil antenna is integrated with the push button start so if you push with upper part of FOB engine should start even if battery is depleted. They're dozens of videos in Youtube how to replace battery.

Old 12-15-2022, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Markuszerr
So over the past couple of days my fob has not been working. When I go to unlock the car with keyless entry on the door nothing happens. So I pull out the fob and try to unlock it that way but again nothing will happen. I’ll then pull out the key itself and unlock the doors manually and I can get in fine but the car won’t start, it doesn’t recognize the key I assume. The alarm will start to go off after that but I have no way to turn it off as the car won’t start and the fob won’t work. It’ll go off for a few minutes and then the key will just start to work again like nothing happened.

Would this be a low battery issue in my fob, I tried both fobs this morning and the same thing happened with both. So do I need to change the battery on my fobs. Or re pair the keys itself, or reprogram anything?

thank you!
sorry 2016 Mazda 3 2.5L

Old 12-15-2022, 12:24 PM

then just follow my advice if you can start your car battery probably need replacement.