Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Install Aux cable on 2005 Mazda3

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 03:23 PM
Exclamation Install Aux cable on 2005 Mazda3

Hi, I want to put the aux cable on my mazda3 but i don't want pay other money and then find out that doesn't work. 3 weeks ago i bought this cable
AUX 3.5mm Cable Connect iPod iPhone MP3 Phone Audio to Mazda Car Player: Amazon.ca: Electronics AUX 3.5mm Cable Connect iPod iPhone MP3 Phone Audio to Mazda Car Player: Amazon.ca: Electronics
and just after I tried it I found out that works on 06's+. My stereo has the TAPE/MD button. I saw there is the AuxMod that works but what I actually want is listen music from my phone (Htc One) and change music directly with the buttons on the steering wheel, I'm okay even if it is bluetooth, I just need that works. What you advise me to do and what to buy ?

Old 11-16-2014, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

What you want to look at is probably a Grom Audio Interface This gives you a USB wired connection from your phone to the Grom module, which is in turn connected to the back of the stereo. That runs ~$150. You can also get the bluetooth adapter which will allow you to stream music, or for handsfree calling. You can control both audio playback and calls from the stereo controls (not sure exactly which buttons do what). For another $15 you can get a USB/3.5mm cable for a regular input and charging of a device.

So while pricey it looks to offer all of the features you're interested in. Grom has been around for a long time and from user posts on several forums has a really good product. I personally have an AuxMod, and it works nicely. Given how good the Groms have gotten (and especially since my other two cars have USB integration/handsfree calling) it's tempting to upgrade to this kind of unit.

What you need to decide is do you want to spend ~$200 to get all of these features, or do you want to spend a little less for a basic aftermarket stereo to get the same features? Alternately a little more for a nicer aftermarket stereo which offers the same or more features.

Originally Posted by Description from Grom's Website
USB Connection: GROM-USB3 car stereo adapter connects your USB 2.0 device such as flash drive, external hard drive or mass storage device to the stock stereo in your car. You can control the playback through your car stereo or steering wheel controls.

Android in-car integration: Android Phone play, control and charge. If you have an Android Phone or Tablet (including but not limited to Samsung Galaxy or Note line, HTC One, Google Nexus and others) you can integrate it to your car stereo. Play the music, control it via car stereo or steering wheel buttons, and charge while in car - all with the standard MicroUSB to USB cable. There are no extra cables required. You will plug the MicroUSB cable to the USB port of GROM USB unit directly.
Android integration requires AALinQ Android App, available FREE at Google Play Store
For more information go to AALinQ page

USB streaming for select Android devices with Jelly Bean software is available without AALinQ. To learn more please visit GROM FAQ.

iPod, iPhone, iPad car integration: Connect your Apple device to the factory car stereo via USB port. Play music, control from car stereo or steering wheel, and charge at the same time. Use standard USB to Apple connector cable (including Lightning style). All iPod, iPhone, iPad are compatible, including latest iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus.

Bluetooth add-on (sold separately): Make a hands free phone calls (HFP), stream music from your phone to the factory stereo via Bluetooth Audio playback (A2DP), control your music with the car stereo or steering wheel controls via Bluetooth wireless audio control (AVRCP) with the GROM Bluetooth Dongle

AUX Input (sold separately): Aux connection (for any additional audio source such as DVD, MP3 player, XM and more) plus 5V charging via AUX-In 3.5mm and 5V USB charging cable

Old 11-29-2014, 01:13 AM

I'll second the Grom. AFAIK it's the only thing that'll really do what you're describing without having to install a new headunit.