Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

2008 Mazda3 AUX Input Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 11:18 AM
Default 2008 Mazda3 AUX Input Problem

Hello all,

I have seen many posts detailing the issues with Sirius and Aux complications with the Mazda 3. I just bought a Mazda3 and want to use the AUX input and will likely never use Sirius radio. Does anyone have any instructions (pdf or other) on how to make the AUX usable? I think my car is currently set up for Sirius, but I want it to be setup for AUX. Do I need to buy anything for it? Remember, I do not want Sirius so I do not think I need switchbox, I just need simple instructions on how to activate the AUX again. Finally, will I need to put in any button combos to switch the programming of the radio?

Thanks!

Brian

Old 06-16-2011, 11:20 AM

Note, I do have the Media button and the AUX input in the armrest...

Old 06-17-2011, 03:27 AM

Wait... i don't understand? You have an 08 right? Then you have an aux input in your armrest

Old 06-17-2011, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator

Yup, it's easy and you should be able to do it in under 10 minutes.

@cornwellbs, the ACI and sirius both utilize the same port on the back of the HU so they're mutually exclusive unless you add the switchbox allowing you to plug both it, or if you have the '08.5+ which allows both to be plugged in.

So directions:
-open the glove compt.
-remove the dash strip by popping loose the tension clips.
-grab the strip just to the right of the LCD (edge of glove compt.) and pull out.
-pop loose the clips between the LCD and far right of strip
-gently bend the strip and slide the far right (it's a hook not a clip) out of it's slot
-pop the far left clip loose and set the strip aside.
-remove the two screws holding the HU (no need to get the two holding the center dash)
-grab the top of the HU and pull firmly to release it's mounting clips (don't pull on the face plate as it may come loose
-be careful that the sides of the HU don't scrape against the paneling on the dash.
-Unplug the sirius from the back of the HU (on the driver's side of HU)
-find the ACI plug.... probably tied off or tucked behind a panel and plug it into the HU.
-reassemble and enjoy.

Old 06-18-2011, 02:50 PM

@icspots, your estimate of 10 minutes may have been an overestimate! They had the plug tucked away and hidden really well and I was worried that I was not going to be able to do it, but I found it eventually! When I called the dealer they told me that my car did not have the cord I needed to use the Aux jack, and that the cord alone would cost $140, plus labor (thus why I was initially worried when I could not locate the well hidden plug). But, I now have Aux for free and it took me less than 10 minutes. Simply amazing, my greatest gratitude. Now all I need is a trip computer hack that will work on an 08... you wouldn't happen to have that, would you? I tried all the combos but none of them worked on my 08.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator

^^ Yup, told it was in there. When you talked to the dealer they were probably quoting you the price for the OEM ipod module. Since apple carries so much of the audio player market even common 3.5mm audio jacks get referred to as "ipod" plugs. Since there is in fact an ipod module the dealers can easily get confused when they're referring to two different things as plugs for ipods.

For the DIS unlock it depends on your year and stereo. All '06-'07 HU's (single or 6CD) can be unlocked. In the '08 M/Y only the 6CD can be unlocked. With the '08.5 refresh Mazda actually split the part numbers so that only GT trim cars have stereo which have the DIS..... Basically Mazda got tired of people getting a feature for free on lower models when it was a selling point for the GT trim. If you have the 6CD then you should be able to hold down the FM and CD buttons with the car off, turn the ignition to ACC while continuing to hold the buttons and wait for a few seconds until "DIS ON" is displayed. If you don't have the 6CD then you'd need to replace the HU to get it to work. On the up side you have the option of any model '06-'07 or 6CD '08 to get it to work.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:35 PM

ahh ok gottcha!

Old 01-03-2012, 08:41 PM
Default Mazda 3 '07 Aux

Originally Posted by icspots
Yup, it's easy and you should be able to do it in under 10 minutes.

@cornwellbs, the ACI and sirius both utilize the same port on the back of the HU so they're mutually exclusive unless you add the switchbox allowing you to plug both it, or if you have the '08.5+ which allows both to be plugged in.

So directions:
-open the glove compt.
-remove the dash strip by popping loose the tension clips.
-grab the strip just to the right of the LCD (edge of glove compt.) and pull out.
-pop loose the clips between the LCD and far right of strip
-gently bend the strip and slide the far right (it's a hook not a clip) out of it's slot
-pop the far left clip loose and set the strip aside.
-remove the two screws holding the HU (no need to get the two holding the center dash)
-grab the top of the HU and pull firmly to release it's mounting clips (don't pull on the face plate as it may come loose
-be careful that the sides of the HU don't scrape against the paneling on the dash.
-Unplug the sirius from the back of the HU (on the driver's side of HU)
-find the ACI plug.... probably tied off or tucked behind a panel and plug it into the HU.
-reassemble and enjoy.

Can you do this on the '07 Mazda 3 as well?

Old 01-10-2012, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by kawizuki
Can you do this on the '07 Mazda 3 as well?
Yup. The ACI wasn't included on the 3 until 2007, so any '07-'09 models have it.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:08 PM

I also have the same problem. I have absolutely no interest in sat radio. I travel a lot and would like to use my aux to listen to my ipod/iphone. When i plug in my ipod and hit the media button, nothing happens. I would follow directions as posted previously, but i would have no idea what i would be looking for. somebody help please. maybe a video? it would mean a lot and would be greatly appreciated.

if it makes a difference, i have a 2008 mazdaspeed 3.

Quick Reply: 2008 Mazda3 AUX Input Problem