Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

hid/new lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 07:53 PM
Default hid/new lights

i want to change out my stock lighting, and was thinking about ccfl halos, along with 8000k lights, but was wondering if this was 'illegal', cuz it mentioned off road use only and all that jazz...any ideas? this was where i was looking:

http://www.xenoneyes.com/products.html

Old 01-24-2009, 10:21 PM
Lev
Default RE: hid/new lights

I'm pretty sure any lighting modification is illegal, especially aftermarkert HID's. I would recommend going with a 5000k or 6000k output. The more blue or purple your lights are, the more likely you will get pulled over. Also, the 8k will tire your eyes out more, and your visibility is lowered. I have had 8,6, and 5k on my car. Currently i am running 5k and i absolutely love them. Very clear and wide. The 8k's looked cool, but like i said earlier, they tire your eyes out. The 6k were very nice. The light output is more white. You get the blue color when facing the car, and it doesnt tire your eyes. I wanted to have the stock look, so i bought 5k's. I live out in the country and need as much light output as possible. When i got the 5k's, i saw everything in my path. It was very bright and clear. When you are behind the wheel, it looks almost like a very bright halogen. The color output is more yellow. Whenever i went from my 6 to 5k's i always saw a big difference. Good luck with your decision

Old 01-25-2009, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator

Lev is absolutely correct. The DOT in your state, as well as the Feds don"t like you messing with the lights on your vehicle.
On the other hand, the police are not liable to care as long as they "look" stock (no 8000k"s) and are not blinding other driver"s.
Since an AM HID kit goes into projectors that do not have as tightcontrol on thebeam as ones actually designed for HID bulbs, scattered lightis more likely, and adjustment of the beam in question downward becomes necessary to avoid said blinding.
The reason mostuse the off-road onlydisclaimer is that they didn"t spend the money and go through all the paperwork (red tape) tohave them approved byDOT. they are not DOT approved and therefore must be listed as off-road only. That does not necessarily mean they are worse than those that are,but they will likely cost less since they can go right from design, to production to sales w/o the government slow down and costs involved in the approval process.
I have AM LED tails in mine that are not DOT approved, however they are much easier to see and do not blind anyone in the process. They are safer than the OE"s but not approved. See what I mean?

Old 01-25-2009, 01:07 PM

wooohooo in canada they dont caaaaaaaare. however its bad when you blind people everywhere you go and chances are one day the person your gonna blind will be a cop... and will give you a nice ticket just for pissing him off. just my 2 cents.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:09 AM

be quiet jamie! XD but btw, nice sig!!! hahaha

but i guess it looks like im prob just gonna invest in some nice LED tailights then...no sense messing with the headlights...thanks guys!

Old 01-28-2009, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator

Like everyone else said all aftermarket HIDs are illegal, thus to sell them they're marked as off road use only.

That being said the largest problem with aftermarket HIDs is when they're placed in reflector housings (like our high beams) vs. projector housings (like our low beams). Even though the halogen projector isn't a good as the HID projector the shield inside it focuses the beam and will eliminate most of the blinding glare that is the bane of HIDs.

If you're looking for improved lighting then HIDs are the way to go. Just remember not to be an idiot about how they're aimed and how high the kelvin rating is and you'll be fine.