Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

HELP - Quiet Tires for '08 Hatch

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 10:15 PM

I have Kumho tires now. They are decent and better than the stock Goodyear tires. I will probably shop around for something else next time though. They were better but just not a 'wow these are great I'm definitely getting them again' kinda tire.

Old 10-24-2010, 12:40 PM

Now with about 1k miles since the new Dunlops were pu on our Mazda 3 s, happy to report they seem well suited to the car: a little quieter, excellent grip in the wet, and very good handling, as good as the original Goodyear RSAs. Dunlop Signature Sports is the tire I'm commenting on....

Old 10-25-2010, 06:26 AM
Super Moderator

The ONLY time the OE GY's handled pretty well was in the dry. They are pretty much universally panned as a performance tire. They don't wear worth a crap, and are noisy and hard riding too, so I hope you're not comparing the new tires to them.

When I called GY CS in early 2006 to complain about these, I asked how is it that they garnered an A/S rating. Of course I didn't get an answer, but trying to make me feel better I'd guess they did tell me that RS-A's were the std tire for police cars.
My reply, "Then I feel sorry for the police everywhere."

It'll be a long, LONG time before GY gets any of my money again no matter what brand name is on their tires.

Old 11-11-2010, 06:58 PM
Default Dunlop sport signatures.

Originally Posted by Almatti
Good post Virgin 1. I just purchased Dunlop Sport Signatures almost purely on Consumers Reports recommendation this week. My OEMs Goodyear eagle RSAs lasted 20k, rotated the tire every 5k miles. Actually, I could have gotten away with just 2 tires now and replace the other 2 in about 3-5 k miles. I elected to go for all four now. They are quieter than the Goodyears (Dunlop is owned by Goodyear, but I'm not sure they are the same tires), were highly rated as a solid All Season performer in snow too. CR's top pick were Michelin Pilot Sports (I think, too lazy to check the site - I am a member). The Dunlops look very good on the car I must say. Now let's see how they ride and handle. Oh Yeah, my son who drives the car, while commuting the other day, the tires are 4 days old, somehow was able to get a sidewall puncture ( we think he caught a piece of debris / bolt/ nail the day before). When the debris came out while driving, the tire went flat (he failed to tell me that the TPMS light was on the day before). I did NOT purchase the road hazard warranty from Mavis Discount Tires. They would do anything for me on the 4 day old tire, except sell me another at cost and then offer the road hazard warrnaty on all four tires - cost $13 per tire.

But I did purchase the tire on a Platinum VISA card. They offer Purchase Protection - I filed the claim today which may be covered. That's $127 back to me.
My son is running 205/50-17V Dunlop sport signature on his 2007. So far
a little softer ride and quiet enough. Previous Cooper Zeon Sport A/S
were a noise hazard, especially as they aged. He is flat tire prone, so
went for the road hazard warranty this time around.

Old 11-11-2010, 07:21 PM
Default Continental

Originally Posted by shipo
I'll be taking a hard look at the Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires the next time I'm needing a new set of skins.
Heard the Conti's are very quite, ride comfortably and look good and
price is competitive, however some reviews are critical of handling.

Old 11-11-2010, 07:34 PM
Default Dunlop signature sport

Originally Posted by Almatti
Now with about 1k miles since the new Dunlops were pu on our Mazda 3 s, happy to report they seem well suited to the car: a little quieter, excellent grip in the wet, and very good handling, as good as the original Goodyear RSAs. Dunlop Signature Sports is the tire I'm commenting on....
Agreed. Running Dunlops now, and they are softer riding as well as quieter.
The OEM Goodyears were outright dangerous in the snow barely made 30k.

Old 11-11-2010, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by jhnjohnp
Agreed. Running Dunlops now, and they are softer riding as well as quieter.
The OEM Goodyears were outright dangerous in the snow barely made 30k.
Agreed; however, I was responding to the OP's question about a good quiet riding and long lasting tire, not a tire he or she could track on weekends.

In my case, while I don't track my cars any longer, I do still value a predictable tire with fair amount of lateral grip over soft and squishy. Currently I'm running as set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires, which for my current driving environment have way more than enough lateral grip and have extremely good manners in the controllability department.

Old 11-11-2010, 07:42 PM
Default Dunlop signature sport.

Originally Posted by SoBeMazda
My two front OEM tires need to be replaced, with rear two to come fairly soon. My biggest complaint with this car is noise over rough pavement, of which there is an abundance (to put it mildly) in the South Florida area.

Bought the car used, so this is my first time replacing the tires, and I'm hoping that might help the noise. Is this a realistic hope? And if so, what tires would you recommend to reduce the noise (while still maintaining handling) that will hold up well both in terms of mileage and continuing to be quiet over the life of the tires?

I'm hoping to stay under about $125/tire online. I've read the TireRack reviews by customers and gotten myself thoroughly confused. Multiple reviewers will rave about the lack of road noise, followed by someone complaining about the intense noise of any given tire.

TireRack suggested Kumho LX Platinum (which is a Grand Touring tire); Yokohama Avid Envigor and, at the cheapest end, Sumitomo HTR PO1. But obviously I'm open to other suggestions, and could go up a bit in price.

Thanks for any suggestions you can make.
Try Dunlop Signature sport, and do yourself a favor, replace all four,
otherwise handling may be compromised.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:09 PM
Default Dunlop

Originally Posted by shipo
Agreed; however, I was responding to the OP's question about a good quiet riding and long lasting tire, not a tire he or she could track on weekends.

In my case, while I don't track my cars any longer, I do still value a predictable tire with fair amount of lateral grip over soft and squishy. Currently I'm running as set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires, which for my current driving environment have way more than enough lateral grip and have extremely good manners in the controllability department.
Didn't see a question, just agreeing with his comment. What is weekend
tracking? The Dunlops ride softer, quiter, treadwear 460, traction AA and
temperature A, so I guess you could include them in your reply to the OP's
question.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by jhnjohnp
What is weekend tracking?
When I was younger (much younger), I used to do a little weekend racing at the Gymkhana circuits in my region.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gymkhana_(motorsport)

Quick Reply: HELP - Quiet Tires for '08 Hatch