Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Ground Hog Wash

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 08:06 PM
Default Ground Hog Wash

Ok, I didn't believe it to begin with but, I now have proof. I was putting in some different fog light bulbs and decided to ground the throttle body like so many have said to do to get a 'free' power and economy gain.

There is without a doubt NO seat of the pants power gain. You can get more power by washing the car.
There is without a doubt NO mpg gain. I've now gone through 2 1/2 tanks of gas and saw no change in mpg.

I am in Colorado and it has been extremely dry here. If anyone should see a static build up and a problem with grounding, it should be a car here. Those that say this made a difference on their car completely believe that it did. And maybe it did make a difference for them. So that leads me to believe they already had a ground problem on the car. The car had a manufacturing issue. Maybe a time period on the line, a particular location of build, a bad supplier of the wiring harness, etc.

Should you ground the throttle body? You have a 50% chance it will be a waste of time and a 50% chance it will correct a ground issue in the car (if they haven't already resolved the build issue that I assume they had).

Old 03-31-2009, 08:53 PM

ground the throttle body....

...ground the throttle body?

Wow... just... wow...

No... that's just dumb.

Old 04-01-2009, 03:18 AM
Super Moderator

I did this mod a long time ago. I grounded the fuel rail at the same time, and agree, no noticeable change in the way the car runs. On the other hand, I had everything I needed in my shop so it was basically a freebie and it doesn't seem to hurt anything either, so I leave it there. A little extra insurance couldn't hurt, but as you say I wouldn't go out of my way or spend money doing this.