Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Excessive Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 06:05 PM
Default Excessive Oil Consumption

Earlier this week I noticed that the oil level on my 2006 Mazda 3 sport GT (6,000 km) wasn't even registering on the dipstick. I filled it with 3/4 L of oil, waited 15 minutes and checked the level again. I had to add another 1/2L before the level moved to the dipstick high mark. After adding the oil, I looked at the exhasut tip and saw that it was black. I warmed the vehicle up and had my wife press down the gas half-way a few times to see if there is any evidence of burning (which there wasn't). I also don't have any evidence of leaks.

From all of this I concluded that the engine is burning the oil. I I took it to the dealer today (4 days have passed since I first noticed the problem), explained all of the above and was eventually informed (after some prodding) that they would conduct a visual exhaust inspection, visual inspection for leaks and check the oil level on the dipstick. I pointed out that checking the level on the dipstick will probably not reveal any consumption since I filled it up 4 days ago and reminded them that I don't see any evidence of leaks on my garage floor or smoke out the pipe. I told them that a compression test and wet/dry leak-down tests should be conducted to verify my claims and the engine condition. I was promptly told that I "can't tell Mazda how to test their vehicles." and "We will tell you whether or not your vehicle is consuming oil.". Apparently, this dealer has a history of customers not reading their dipsticks right.

The dealer just called to inform me that when they checked the oil it was right up to the full line of the dipstick (no surprise there). Now I have to periodically take the vehicle in so that they can fill out oil consumption reports. Apparently I have to "top up" four times and then Mazda will come to some conclusion about my engine. I have not yet been able to establish what level of consumption is considered normal (the service advisor anecdotally told me 1/4L over 6,000 km which I don't consider normal for a new vehicle).

So now I have a few questions:

1. Is anyone else experiencing oil consumption issues?

2. Any advice on how I should manage this issue? Eventually Mazda may agree to replace my engine but I certainly won't accept just an engine replacement as other components such as emission controls have been compromised.

3. Does anyone know why Mazda wouldn't conduct the tests that I mentioned? The "tests" conducted by the dealer are primitive at best.

By the way, I baby my vehicle. It has never been red-lined and I always try to drive it between 2,000 to 4,000 rpm. Thanks.