Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 09:05 PM
Default Engine Light

Engine light came on today(06 3i, 21000mi).
Of course dealer/service (in my neighborhood) didnt wanna look at it because I didnt have an appt.This is why I've been going to the dealer out in Jersey where I work.
After trying to work some kind of comprise with the dealer here in bklyn, they agreed to take a look and tell me if it was at least safe to drive.
Big deal! All they did was everything I already did. Check the fuel tank and oil covers, trans fluid, and oil levels. Look to see all the belts were turning. And coolant level.
They said something about I need to bring the car back because they need to reset the gas cap???? Anyone heard of this? I was left wondering what this was, how long it was gonna take and why they couldnt just do it while I was there. Sometimes I wish I spoke broken english so I could better understand some people. Also said it might reset itself?
Already made an appt at the dealer out in Jersey, not waitin til next sat by my place

Old 08-14-2006, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Engine Light

?

Okay, so if you had a CEL then they should've plugged into your OBD II jack and check the computer to see what code it threw instead of just going around the car randomly to try and figure it out. I'd say your local dealer is really lame in refusing to check a CEL without an appointment. What if it's something really important, and it's dangerous to drive the car? Shouldn't they be liable for anything that happens as a result of refusing to test it?

Now resetting the gas cap...... if you drive off without your gas cap screwed on all the way then it can trip a CEL. There are a few ways to reset CELs. You can disconnect your battery, you can have the dealer plug up and they can reset it, or sometimes it will go away on it's own.

Let us know what happens.

Old 08-14-2006, 06:45 PM

Sounds like they know what the problem is and realized it is going to cost them money to fix it.

Old 08-14-2006, 11:16 PM

ok
excuse my ignorance

CEL?
OBD II jack?

Old 08-14-2006, 11:41 PM

CEL is short for Check Engine Light

and the OBD II jack is the diagnostic port that allows for performance and ECU changes to be made. The port can be found in the top of the pocket below the dash dimmer **** to the left of the steering wheel column

Old 08-15-2006, 10:35 AM

Thanks ES

Car is still running normally. Been doing this since Sat. with the light on. Drove out here (40mi) to work no problems.
I guess it'll be fine til tomorrow(my appt) out here.

I still dont get this whole appt thing. I understand its usefullness for regular service(oil changes, etc)
I want to deal with Mazda because of the warranty.
But, say the car broke down, and had to be towed. They wont look at it because I dont have an appt?

Old 08-15-2006, 11:08 AM

this is most likely a case of not screwing the gas cap on all the way...

after a certain number of "Drive Cycles" (starting car, shutting it off) the CEL will shut off. It really isn't a big deal...usually when a CEL comes on its something with emissions or something like that. Just drive the car as usual - and just make sure you hear the gas attendant, or yourself, click the gas cap a few times when screwing it back on. Again - not a big deal, thats probably why they dont want to see you at the dealership.

You should be able to call your mazda service department and find out exactly how many cycles it needs to reset, i forget the number - this happened to me before...

Old 08-16-2006, 03:56 PM

The verdict
A clogged and leaking Purge Valve in the emissions system.
Covered under the warranty, no biggie, I guess.

The weird thing is the engine light didnt come on this morning(first time since Sat afternoon), but I brought in to be checked anyway.