Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

electronic governor

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 04:16 PM
Default RE: electronic governor

the person over on mazda3foroums, had a canadian dealer raise his gov. using the wds (tablet that plugs into our cars). i believe he has net to confirm this with anyone else in his car, so as of now, i only consider it someones word....not fact.

perhaps things in Canada are a bit different, but EVERYONE in the US is worried about getting sued, so it would be hard to imagine someone putting their ***** on the line for some tuner. my optinion.

no it should be said (though not as a rule) that there is rarely any time that, without serious modifications, it's easy/pertinant to raise the limiter on the mazda. i'm a track guy, and be it drag or road course, there is no where that 118 would come into play on a 2.3 with the basic mods on it. given, i drive a lot at night, i hit 120 3 times a week...cause i could, and that's the only reason, not racing anyone, not outrunning the cops....just bored and driving fast. i cross the 140 line at least once a month when i have my car now....cause i can. i just want people to know, don't kid yourself thinking you need this off for any good reason....just like the poster said....your "need for speed"

is the need worth the price of a Haltech/Microtech....for most i'd say no

Old 02-12-2007, 04:46 PM

I know how long it took my car to get to 118, I can't see going that speed formuchlonger (acceleration on top end is very slow.) Now Mr. Tea still has power available up top (unlikeus naturally aspirated plebians) and with the ECU needed to run his turbo, working around the top speed cut-off is easy.

Even the Speed3 is just barely cracking 100 mph in the 1/4 mile. To crack 118 you'd probably be running 12's in the quarter. (I want to say my brothers old sportbike used to run 11.8's @ 119 mph)

Old 02-12-2007, 05:15 PM

Mine's NA with only a CAI, racing throttle body, mazdaspeed intake and header, and dropped 2 inches. And my governor kicks on at 143. That was a good night, right when I was getting ready to pass an A8 I was racing. Got nose to nose and it hit me.

Old 02-12-2007, 05:18 PM

well you obviously don't have a 3 then, or at least not one in the states.....so most of that makes no difference to those on here i'd guess

Old 02-12-2007, 06:01 PM

Well just to keep everyone up to speed on my research. I have been to the dealer.....The answer wasNO by three different people at the dealer. I have how ever found out that the mazda 3 is a duratec engine and cosworth does sell the insides of the engine (pistions- rod- rings- lifters),but nothing else. I did how ever get a hold of another company and I am waiting on a call back. This is the best lead I have had so far. Will let you know what happens when I get a call.

Old 02-12-2007, 06:24 PM

that's the answer i would expect, as would most

for those that have questions about the engine in general and upgrade parts, feel free to hit me up. there are a lot of Cosworth parts that don't work, and there are other companies that make parts that do. i've been through most of them in the last 3 years, so feel free to shoot me a pm and i can answer 90% of your questions on the engine.

and if you new solution is the HKS unit....they won't confirm it works, have to buy it and try

Old 02-15-2007, 02:06 AM

I have a 3s hatchback. And I live in the states, and bought the car here in the states. It's the 4th car I've owned. It's had professional work done to it from whatever garage the previous owner got it done at. It's even got NOS hooked up. No bottle though. And I can't find where to hook it up at.

Old 02-15-2007, 03:59 AM

what kind of work was done to the car? very interesting to see what the shop did, "professional work" is a bit vauge. i don't understand why a shop would move the gov up, rather than just removing it

any vids of your runs? pics of the car?

Old 02-15-2007, 02:02 PM

the shop couldnt remove the gov. i guess its permanently built into the ecu.
so thats why they had to move it up to 220

Old 02-16-2007, 05:12 PM

Dealer is not going to be able to raise the governor limit as it is not an optional programmable parameter unless this screen listed under tire size /axle ratio would change anything. Maybe moving PCM spec to a L3 T engine might but have no idea. Does not specify what changes would be made. The highlighted was current spec and did allow me to change but no idea if that will raise the limit. Do not even know what the set limits are for regular engine and turbo.Anyone want to try it??[sm=badbadbad.gif]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/DCD6B6FD8DC743B4AEB7CC7F342B17B6.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: electronic governor