Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

DSC

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 08:58 AM
Default DSC

Can someone explain exactly what DSC does? I haven't read anything that really says what it does. I don't think I've really noticed any difference having it on or off.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: DSC

Deaf Services Center?
Distributed Statistical Computing?
Differential Scanning Calorimetry?
Discovery Channel?
Development, Security, and Cooperation?
Danville Science Center?
Daily Source Code?

I don't have a clue what you're talking about Aubrey, but I couldn"t help messin" w/you a little bit.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

Ah! Dynamic Stability Control!!
http://www.mazda.com/csr/safety/active.html
During understeer, the DSC reduces engine torque and applies the brakes to the inner wheels to limit front wheel side-skid.
During oversteer, side-skid of the rear wheels is reduced by applying the brakes to the outer wheels.
I discovered this system in the 6i VE my dealer lent me when my 3 was in the shop and some bimbo pulled right out in front of meandstopped right in my lane in a first gen Durango while I was going 65mph.
If you have to make a very quick transition, as I did then, you will notice it.
I had two of them (6i VE"s)for a total of three days and I got into more (potential) trouble in that time than I get in my 3 in 3 years!! People just didn"t seem to see them.

Old 11-07-2008, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: virgin1People just didn"t seem to see them.
Hmmm, it must look like an ambulance then...... that would explain it. <sigh>

Old 11-07-2008, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator

I had 2 different ones: the first was a dark(er) gray-silver (more silver than gray.) In one day I nearly got rear ended @ an intersection I NEVER have a problem with.
The second car was a much brighter silver and in 2 days of driving that car, I had 2 different people pull out in front of me... the most immediatewas the incident that I described above. I really thought that was gong to end up in a hospital visit, at least. (SCARY) A few seconds after, my heart was pounding... and the stupid bitch that almost caused it then passed me @ the next intersection on her way to making a left turn and never even acknowledged that she hadnearly killed me (her right fender, my left fender and hood.) [:@]

Old 11-07-2008, 09:28 PM
VB

ORIGINAL: virgin1

I had 2 different ones: the first was a dark(er) gray-silver (more silver than gray.) In one day I nearly got rear ended @ an intersection I NEVER have a problem with.
The second car was a much brighter silver and in 2 days of driving that car, I had 2 different people pull out in front of me... the most immediate was the incident that I described above. I really thought that was gong to end up in a hospital visit, at least. (SCARY) A few seconds after, my heart was pounding... and the stupid bitch that almost caused it then passed me @ the next intersection on her way to making a left turn and never even acknowledged that she had nearly killed me (her right fender, my left fender and hood.) [:@]
You forgot something, Rich: your left middle finger.

Old 11-08-2008, 04:24 AM

Most of the time you don't have time for the Horn, let alone the middle finger.

Old 11-08-2008, 04:51 AM
Super Moderator

Ken is absolutely right! In both cases, no time. I just wanted to save my ***.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:56 AM

Thanks. I guess I'm not swirving like that to notice. I only have people pull out in front of me and cut me off in my truck. Go figure.