Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

DRLs

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by virgin1

Keith is saying he's happy he didn't have to do a DRL delete on his new Mazda3 (2013) like he did on his '06 Vibe. Just one less thing to figure out.
I know in Ca DRL's are required. Here in the US they are not, but some cars have them anyway. You could always install some aftermarket "add-on"units that are now becoming popular. Mounted in the grill and rewire the circuit so that it wouldn't interfere with normal operation of the low beams... probably just moving the output wire from the relay to the new lights.
In the mid-'90's when there was talk in the US Congress of requiring them on all the cars I knew some bikers that got upset, since the idea was originally intended to keep them (the bikers) more noticable to the cars. To them if all cars had DRL's it would just confuse the issue on the streets. I'm not sure if they were right or not, but it never became manditory here. Just as well, IMO.
It's a little gray area with DRLs here in Toronto. I noticed some newer models of Pick-ups and larger cars not having them. Then, there are also some of the older vehicles (vintage) that don't have them either. So unless you're ready to splurge on fixing the module, you're better off with them off instead of flickering. Which one of the options attracts the cops more ? No lights or flickering lights?