Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

DRLs

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 05:21 PM
Default DRLs

Is there a way to turn off the daytime running lights? Even when my headlight switch is off ALL my lights are on (yes even running lights but not instrument) when the ignition is on, I am sick of having to replace my bulbs each 6 months to a year. I checked all my wires for loose or corroded connections, checked for loose bulbs/housings and found nothing wrong which makes me think they are just on too much.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:54 AM

I have a problem with that too, but in my case the driving lights flicker after about 30mins of driving (like the ones on a cop car). It's annoying, but I can "fix" that by turning the night lights on.

In our case, I'll try to remove the DRL chip and see what it does. Else, based on my research, you might want to change the module (located inside the left rear door panel). I won't do that, since I've heard it can cost around 3-4bills easy.

Old 04-14-2012, 03:35 PM

Thanks! Let me know what you find out

Old 04-14-2012, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator

I know this post by itself will not be much help, but Toyota's, and in my case a Pontiac Vibe has a module and all that's required is cutting one wire to disable the DRL's and auto headlights.
My wife drives a 2006 Vibe and one of the first things she asked me to do was "get rid of those things!!" I quick search on Matrix/Vibe forums provided an answer, as she was not the only one that had a problem with these. Since in that case auto-on headlights were part of the package, I even went so far as to install a lighted on/off switch so they could easily be reactivated from the dashboard.
The question in this case would be which wire?

Old 04-14-2012, 05:59 PM

Ok, so here's how my journey went.

First, I assumed that there might be three light bulbs - you know, for day, night and high beams. But I was dissapointed in finding out that just one does the job for all three. So removing the day light bulb is out of the question.

Next, the fuse box! Yep, that magical little box that makes everything work nicely. 15A, a little blue chip (there a few so check the diagram for the DLR chip) is the best option to disable the day lights. Unplug that with a plier (since it's too deep for an average finger to go around for a pull) and TA-DA!

I've checked all my lights (front and rear) and all work, of course except the day lights. Every option is still intact but the day lights. But keep the chip safe, in case you fix the module, you can plug it back in. Else, even with a good module your day lights won't run.

Hope this helps

Job Time: 10secs.
Job Cost: FREE

Old 04-14-2012, 07:32 PM

nice, glad mine didn't come with it...

Old 04-14-2012, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator

Footballer, check your fuse box again. With those thin modern fuses that as you noted are nearly impossible to pul with fingers, there is usually a tool built into the box or lid somewhere specifically designed for that purpose. Often plastic, similar to a short tweezers but designed to clip around the top of the fuses.
Great find!! Simple and easy. Getting under the dashboard of the Vibe was a PITA, especially when it came time to solder in the new harness I had made for the switch. This is a much better/easier solution. And it would stil bel possible to wire in an override switch if that is what someone wanted to do.
After seeing this thread I did a google search to try and find some answers for you guys. I came up with more people asking about this more than answers to their questions. Good job, and thanks for posting it!!

Old 04-15-2012, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Mazda3UR
nice, glad mine didn't come with it...
...with what?

Old 04-15-2012, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by virgin1

Footballer, check your fuse box again. With those thin modern fuses that as you noted are nearly impossible to pul with fingers, there is usually a tool built into the box or lid somewhere specifically designed for that purpose. Often plastic, similar to a short tweezers but designed to clip around the top of the fuses.
Great find!! Simple and easy. Getting under the dashboard of the Vibe was a PITA, especially when it came time to solder in the new harness I had made for the switch. This is a much better/easier solution. And it would stil bel possible to wire in an override switch if that is what someone wanted to do.
After seeing this thread I did a google search to try and find some answers for you guys. I came up with more people asking about this more than answers to their questions. Good job, and thanks for posting it!!
I was getting fed up with flashing people. Since I'm of European decent, and many people here in Toronto, Canada are too, flashing your lights towards incoming traffic means "Slow down, speed trap". And cops can give you a nice ticket too..for "distracting traffic/drivers".

Glad I can help!

As for the clipper, I know it exists, but I was too anxious to see the result of my "great" thinking

If you guys find any other forums with this problem in them, feel free to pass the info along. It saves at least $200-$300 easy.

Old 04-15-2012, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by footballer
...with what?

Keith is saying he's happy he didn't have to do a DRL delete on his new Mazda3 (2013) like he did on his '06 Vibe. Just one less thing to figure out.
I know in Ca DRL's are required. Here in the US they are not, but some cars have them anyway. You could always install some aftermarket "add-on"units that are now becoming popular. Mounted in the grill and rewire the circuit so that it wouldn't interfere with normal operation of the low beams... probably just moving the output wire from the relay to the new lights.
In the mid-'90's when there was talk in the US Congress of requiring them on all the cars I knew some bikers that got upset, since the idea was originally intended to keep them (the bikers) more noticable to the cars. To them if all cars had DRL's it would just confuse the issue on the streets. I'm not sure if they were right or not, but it never became manditory here. Just as well, IMO.

Quick Reply: DRLs