Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Doors not always unlocking

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 02:16 PM
Default Doors not always unlocking

Hi all, first post.

I got a new 2018 last month, and love the car so far, but I've had an issue twice and can't seem to find anything on the internet...

I've had the doors refuse to unlock twice. The first time I was in the car, engine running, and the unlock button wouldn't work.

This morning, I started the car and went inside while it warmed up. When I came back, the doors wouldn't unlock with either the fob or the soft buttons on the door handles.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Gary

Old 03-14-2019, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator

Did you lock it after starting the car?

Old 03-14-2019, 11:14 AM

When it locked me in, no for sure. When it locked me out, possibly.

Old 03-15-2019, 06:30 AM
Super Moderator

To the best of my knowledge, the remote/fob wont work with the engine running.

Old 03-16-2019, 10:13 AM

The fob and the button on the door does not work when the engine is running for me. (I suspect that Mazdas in other countries may function differently - this is likely something with unique local laws.)

The thing that surprises me is that you were able to lock the car with the engine running. When I start the car to warm it up. I can't lock it with the fob, the button on the door or the interior door lock to get out of the car and leave it locked but running. The only way I can leave it locked when running is to use the key inside the fob and I have to unlock it the same way to get back in the running car.

For your other point: If you are saying that you were inside the car and you could not use the in-car buttons to unlock the car, that sounds like a problem that should be addressed by Mazda.

Last edited by mazdaCPA; 03-16-2019 at 10:16 AM.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:26 AM

I haven't had any issues for the last week or so. I changed the unlock setting to unlock all 4 doors with a single key press on the exterior button, as this is more practical for me (I was having trouble getting the timing right with the second hit of the button unlocking the rear doors, but that was probably just me)

This is the first car I've had with "modern" amenities, so there was a bit of a learning curve.

The interior button being unresponsive was a one-time event, so far.

Old 03-20-2019, 01:13 PM

Make sure you go through all the set-up options. I was amazed at how many things you can control. I especially like the setting where the car locks when I walk away. I also have it set to lock when I put it in drive and unlock when I put it in park. This has addressed all issues of passengers looking for the button or the car being locked when they try to get in.