Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

disi engine on a non-speed 3???

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 10:49 PM
Default disi engine on a non-speed 3???

is it possible to do? has anyone done it? is that, a turbo, and a cold air intake all that differs in power between the speed and the GT3?

Old 01-09-2007, 08:32 PM
Default RE: disi engine on a non-speed 3???

That's all if you don't count the beefed up suspension and chassis, the stability control, beefed up limited slip diff, and the lower compression ratio on the DISI engine. If you had 250HP in the regular 3, you would have to change a lot of other things to make it work very well. Also, you can't take a normally aspirated 10.0 or 10.5:1 compression engine in the regular 3and shove 16 pounds of boost down its throat and expect it not to puke.

Old 01-09-2007, 11:22 PM

Fact is that it's a different car. I mean it's based off of something but it's not even really a high model, it's it's own car in the Mazdaspeed line. Meaning, no, it's not just a few peices added on. And as VA said, a trubo would'nt make your 3 a speed3 either. If you want a boosted 3 either sell yours and buy a Speed3 OR boost the one you've got. But the regular 4cyl in the 3 won't put up with the amount of boost in the Speed3. Also remember that that boost kit is a boost kit. It boosts your car. The developers don't care to much about how long it'll last just in the results. A factory turbo would be as my friend put "Built for longevity". Basically your answer is, no. Read more and you'll see and when you decide what you want to do or have more questions we're here. Just remember that the Mazdaspeed3 is not just a model up.

Old 01-10-2007, 12:14 AM

DISI = Direct Injection, Spark Ignition. It has nothing to do with being turbocharged, but how the fuel is injected. It's one reason the Speed3 can handle 16 psi without eating its own pistons for breakfast. Normal MZR engines use port injection, not DISI. If you want a Speed3, buy a Speed3--you'll spend less money and have a much better car.

Old 01-10-2007, 01:00 PM

i know, im just saying, theyr both dual overhead 2.3 aluminium MZR's. i guess im wondering if there is any injection conversion kits? to go DISI, or would that still chew up some pistons?

Old 01-10-2007, 02:12 PM

Pick up Sport Compact Car Febuary 2007 - Volume 19, NO. 02. This has a nice article on the 2.3l MZR DISI. Direct Injection is not boltable. It's a new proccess for delivering fuel. The block is different than your 3, the everything is different. Check out the pictures if you still don't know why. It's like trying to convert a Wankle into an MZR. That's a harsh comparison but am i wrong. You can't convert it. This is'nt like the civic boys playing with they're hot swappable engines. And while mazda at somepoint will have enough engines of this type to be that way it's in a class of it's own, all new and all tech. Seriously if you were to even aquire a crated MZR (goodluck atm) from Hiroshima and have it put in your 3. Or even do it yourself. With all the other modifications to just make it jive.....just one... the computer comes to mind.... after you add up the cost of your 3 + the project costs, I'd bet you could have gotten yourself a Speed3 and had enough for the first couple premium fuel fillups. I really am one for helping others and giving words of wisdom though i may be lacking at times. But this is a lost cause. Your car is already a great one. You've got more for you're money than any civic IMHO. If in fact you do have enough cash to literally blow on a swap, why not trade the 3, take the cash left and mod your new Speed3. There more potential in the MZR before need heavy modification than any other engine out there and still be reliable. I really believe that and i think Sema and our local shops are going to prove me right. Feel free to fire back, i'm up for a good chat!! ^^ Take care now.

Old 01-11-2007, 12:50 PM

you are correct sir

Old 01-11-2007, 07:25 PM

...all hail Mike. thanks man, makes alot more sense now. from what i kept hearing, it sounded like they were one in the same, but i guess not.
thanks for all the input.