Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

non-stop engine problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 04:00 PM
Default non-stop engine problems

I've had a 2000 Millenia with the Miller cycle engine for less than two years. So far I have replaced two coils and two O2 sensors at a total cost of almost $2,000.00. Less than 100 kms after replacing the 2nd O2 sensor the engine check light came back on and the car was running rough. The shop tells me the next thing to do is replace a catalytic converter at a cost of $1,500.00. This car has rarely had the check engine light off. I get very poor gas mileage and the car smokes like crazy when I start it up. I am not a mechanic type and am frustrated with the car not working properly. Is this typical for these engines or do I have a lemon? Any suggestions?

Old 08-08-2005, 01:22 PM
Default RE: non-stop engine problems

I bought my 1999 Millenia S in January, so I've had it 6 months. No real problems to speak of (except for the Bose stereo refusing to play CDs). Car has about 70k miles. Its a nice vehicle, quiet and with great power, but with gas prices where they are, I'm kinda wishing I'd just bought a Civic.

Old 08-09-2005, 05:53 PM
Administrator

persue lemon law buy-back...
and dont waste 1500 on a cat...have a universal fit piece welded in.

Old 08-10-2005, 01:10 PM

ORIGINAL: skiman

I've had a 2000 Millenia with the Miller cycle engine for less than two years. So far I have replaced two coils and two O2 sensors at a total cost of almost $2,000.00. Less than 100 kms after replacing the 2nd O2 sensor the engine check light came back on and the car was running rough. The shop tells me the next thing to do is replace a catalytic converter at a cost of $1,500.00. This car has rarely had the check engine light off. I get very poor gas mileage and the car smokes like crazy when I start it up. I am not a mechanic type and am frustrated with the car not working properly. Is this typical for these engines or do I have a lemon? Any suggestions?
Skiman, did you purchased an extended warranty for you Milly?
If you didn't [sm=crossbonesgif.gif] sorry.

As you may know, 02 sensors are located along the exhaust system, there are 3 or 4 not sure
you'll see what i'm getting at below!
You say it's "smoking like crazy" at startup, i'm sorry to tell you that it indicates a supercharger failure, which means it's leaking oil . I don't like using the term "blown".
It is very typical for the Millenia S, and it occurs mainly because of faulty maintenace especially oil changes intervals and abuse.
No options in terms of bypassing this situation. You must replace it, either by installing a new one
(very expensive!!! ) or getting a rebuilt unit (recommended! as they are better than the brand new ones) or trying to get a second from a scrap yard ( slim chances that it'll last very long).

http://www.psesuperchargers.com (see this link)

The catalytic converter failure caused because of all the unburnt oil you supercharger releases
at startup when cold.

I recommend that you talk to your mechanic and see to what degree your converter is clogged,
I had a PSE supercharger installed on my car ( i had purchased an extended warranty) and the
Mazda dealer was able " unclog " my converter to a certain degree.
Keep us posted
Tony

Old 08-12-2005, 03:40 AM

First, lemon law will only to apply to a vehicle still under OE warranty unless you have different laws in your state. And yes the Millenia S has had some problems with the lyscholm compressor (not supercharger) having oil leakage problems. There is an access plate on the top of the compressor that will allow inspect of the gearing. Should not see any oil inside the compressor gears or that is source of oil leak. But if vehicle was running rough and mil came on what code was retrieved from the computer?? A CAT efficiency code would certainly not cause a rough run concern but a rough run concern over a period of time could most certainly give a CAT efficiency code as the missfire damages the converter(s). Have seen a number of problems with the coil on plugs causing a missfire. What was the code that caused the check engine light in the first place??? And yes the parts for a Millenia are expensive. Buy a high end type car and get high end parts. Check out the prices for similar parts on a Mercedes, Porsche, Lexus, etc.

Old 08-13-2005, 10:34 PM

Skiman:

My 1999 Milli S had the exact same failure....coils let go (2) and then the cat....and now the smoke.

When the coil lets go, the engine still dumps fuel in the cylinder....unfortunately, it doesn't get burned and is dumped out the exhaust....the unburned fuel clog the cats.

The smoking is caused by a oil leak in the supercharger....there have been some attempts at DIY supercharger rebuild, but I haven't seen one that has gone to completion. The only alternative to have your supercharger rebuilt....$1.8k USD + install.....I will let mine go to failure...hopefully it will last another 50k, and then this POS gets replaced with a Honda.

FH