Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Ding!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Ding!

You could try to dry ice treatment. Not always a perfect solution, and it does depend on the kind of dent it is, but it will no doubt help some.
Warm the metal you want to pop out with a blow dryer or more carefully w/a heat gun. Apply dry ice to the area to shrink the ding. You may have to repeat this several times to get the most out of it.

Old 09-21-2008, 12:21 AM

After 2 months of getting my car, it was hit on the right side. The rear passenger door had to be replaced, the front door had a dent the size of a fist, and the rear quarter panel had to be replaced. Took 1 month to get my car back

Old 09-23-2008, 12:38 PM

First dents are always the worst. But once it loses its virginity you can stop worrying about it so much.

Some years back I was working at the tail end of the auto industry. Cars on their last legs which we would either be able to fix up enough to sell as 200$ 'get to work' specials (guaranteed to pass state safety inspection and make it out of our lot under their own power). Cars that could not make those lofty standards were bound for the crusher, but only after I stripped off any useful parts (decent tires, etc.) that we could sell or use to fix other cars, and valuable metals (copper radiators, lead batteries) that could be sold at a premium price to recyclers.

Sometimes while using a big crowbar and sledgehammer to remove rusted-on radiator brackets I would pause and think that once upon a time this rolling hunk of scrap metal was somebodies Shiny New Pride and Joy, and then just give it another couple of wacks with the big hammer.

Except for the few that are destined for collectors, and may someday become trailer queens, most cars are bound for the scrapyard from the day they are built.

From Scrap Iron Ye Come, To Scrap Iron Ye Shall Return.

Old 09-24-2008, 08:31 PM

ORIGINAL: Fritz T Coyote

First dents are always the worst. But once it loses its virginity you can stop worrying about it so much.

Some years back I was working at the tail end of the auto industry. Cars on their last legs which we would either be able to fix up enough to sell as 200$ 'get to work' specials (guaranteed to pass state safety inspection and make it out of our lot under their own power). Cars that could not make those lofty standards were bound for the crusher, but only after I stripped off any useful parts (decent tires, etc.) that we could sell or use to fix other cars, and valuable metals (copper radiators, lead batteries) that could be sold at a premium price to recyclers.

Sometimes while using a big crowbar and sledgehammer to remove rusted-on radiator brackets I would pause and think that once upon a time this rolling hunk of scrap metal was somebodies Shiny New Pride and Joy, and then just give it another couple of wacks with the big hammer.

Except for the few that are destined for collectors, and may someday become trailer queens, most cars are bound for the scrapyard from the day they are built.

From Scrap Iron Ye Come, To Scrap Iron Ye Shall Return.
You offer a valuable perspective, Fritz. Estimates vary, but here are some numbers that are food for thought:

1) A one year old car, in very good condition (average mileage),has in most cases lostbetween 18 and 23% of its original value. If you negotiated really well on the original price, you might be lucky and knock that down to a 15% decline. Meaning that on a $20,000 car, in year one,agood outcome is thatyou absorb"only" $3,000 of market value loss.

2) A car that is 5 years old, in very good condition (average mileage),is generallyworth50-60% less than itsnew value. Meaning a $20,000 car in most cases loses about $10-12K of market value over 5 years. I will acknowledge that 5 year old cars that get 30 mpg or better highway have held their value better than most - they might have loss of "only" 40%.

3) A car that is 8 years old, in very good condition (average mileage), is generally worth 65-80% less than its new value.After 8 years, a$20,000 car is worth somewhere between $4,000 and $7,000. Same comment on 8 year old fuel efficient vehicles applies here - the loss might be "only" 55-60%.

A point - Market value is only one component of car cost. The market value loss between year 5 and 8 is at a much lower rateversus when the car is newer, but maintenance is likely higher, and reliability and comfort mayalso be diminished.

A friend of mine suggested I spend a big chunk of money to have a clear bra affixed to the nose of my Mazda, to minimize rock chips. He's in sales, his wording was I should do it to "protect my investment." Investment? Anything that declines in value like a new car does is not an investment. Sure, I want my M3 to look good, but $800 to prevent a few rock chips is not worth it to me, plus you know darn well no matter how big the shield is, some rocks will find a way to miss it.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:35 AM

Paint less dent repair. I called up my dealer and asked them for the guy that they use. He figures around $65 because of the location.

I would try the dry ice approach, but I never knew anyone to have actually done it to tell me if it works or not.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator

I tried it on some slight hail damage to my roof. It pulled them out somewhat, but not perfectly.
I did not heat to roof using a heat gun or hair dryer, but it was over 100* here that day and the roof was hot.
I applied the dry ice to it several times w/time in between for it to heat up/get hotagain. Hey, it was cheap, and to a less than perfect degree it worked!!

Old 09-25-2008, 10:02 AM

I will look into has the dry ice. I will wait until it is 110 degrees again so that I can do it while the car is hot.

Old 11-17-2015, 11:44 PM

2016 CX5 Touring, I had mine three weeks and some &@$! Wad banged my door. I had a dime size ding, cost $50 to repair. Now I'm wanting to invest in the ding door guards, any ideas/info./pricing?