Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Coming from an '06 BMW 330i ...

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 03:51 PM
Default Coming from an '06 BMW 330i ...

For a variety of reasons I'm looking at getting into something more economical. I want something that's fun to drive too. The Mazda3 keeps popping up as a possible alternative.

Anyone else come from a BMW that can provide some feedback? Are there other cars I should be considering?

Finally, should I be looking at the 2010? It has features that I'm used to (Bluetooth, remote start). They don't seem to be available on the '09.

Thanks much.

Old 03-10-2009, 04:25 PM

If you want an ugly car, go with the the 2010, if not I would look for at least an '09.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:41 PM

the remote start option you want are available for all years but the bluetooth feature is not, i personally had a test drive with the new 2010 mazda 3, i pretty much pulled my salesperson aside and told him good luck with this one, you would be better off just getting a 05-09 with a remote start and buying an aftermarket bluetooth set from motorarola or somethin (personally i think both of these options are pointless, but to each his own i guess)

Old 03-10-2009, 07:58 PM
VB

I know Shipo had a 2002 530i. You should PM him.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:04 PM

You said the Mazda keeps coming up on your list. What else are you looking at?

Old 03-10-2009, 09:00 PM

A word of caution here.
To begin, the "3" is one hell of a car.
I can't say enough about mine.
Now, the caution is this.
When downsizing, especially from a luxury vehicle to an econiomy model, you had better be prepared for the switch.
Some time ago, I traded in a perfectly good running Cadillac for an economy model, and that first 6 months was miserable for me.
I hated that economy car because I was use to the "cushy" conviences of the big luxury boat.
Obviously, I gained a car with fairly good mileage (what was considered good at that time) but, other than a basic car, the econo model was not much more than just basic.
It was transportation, and beyond that I couldn't say much more.
Now, if you go with a Mazda 3, you won't be sorry, except you will lose that cushy ride.
As stated above, unless you are into solid UGLY, stay away from a 2010.
I think from 04 thru 09, you will find one that is not only fun to drive but, a definite head turner, if you are into that.
I bought my 2006 last may, and am extremely happy with it.
I have all the goodies in mine, and buying this car was one of the best things I have ever done for myself.
Just remember, wheather you decide on Mazda, or some other vehicle, downsizing from a luxury vehicle takes some time to get use too.
Bob.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:11 PM

I've had both a 1999 328i 5-Speed and a 2002 530i 5-Speed (both with the premium interior and sport suspension treatments), and am now in a 2009 Mazda3 i Touring 5-Speed (see a trend there?).

First off, is a Mazda3 a good comparison to an E46 or E90 BMW? No. When I compare my new Mazda3 to my 1999 328i, the 3-Series beats the the Mazda out in every category except fuel costs per mile (the 328i got slightly better mileage, however, it also ran on Premium fuel which offset the mileage advantage). That said, I am very pleased with the Mazda3, especially so considering that it cost less than half the cost of the 328i (which was in 1999 dollars no less).

Long story short, dollar for dollar, I think you'd be hard pressed to find anything even remotely as fun to drive. True, it ain't a BMW, but its pretty damn good never-the-less. Zoom-zoom.

If you're interested, here's the thread I started the week before I bought my Mazda3:
https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda3-26/mazda3-i-touring-vs-vw-rabbit-vs-keeping-old-minivan-16462/

Old 03-11-2009, 09:33 AM

@Aubrey: Other cars I've been looking at include Honda Civic/Fit, Nissan Versa, and VW Rabbit.

@Bob: No worries, my 330i has the sports suspension and 18" wheels, so it's definitely not a "big luxury boat". I get your point though.

@shipo: Thanks for the feedback and link. You validated what I was thinking. I'll give that thread a read-through tonight.

@all: Regarding the seemingly unanimous hatred for the 2010 ... I saw it in person yesterday and it didn't seem nearly as offensive as it sometimes comes across online. That being said, I can get better better deal and financing on an '09 so I'd probably lean that way anyway.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:37 PM

I think all of the Nissans have that VVT transmission. It's continuous. If you don't like feeling a shift, swing that way. If you want to feel a shift (me), I'd steer away.
I was thinking you might want to look at a Jetta since it does ride a little bit different from the Mazda3. But the maintenance costs are twice as much. I never looked at the Rabbits.
I'm not crazy about the look of the Fit. The new Civics are ok I guess. I never drove one cause the buying price is higher than the Mazda if you try to get something equivalent.

When I was looking I looked at the Mazda3, Mitsu Lancer, Nissan Sentra, VW Jetta, Pontiac G6. I didn't enjoy the Sentra at all. I like to feel a car shift and just wasn't impressed with the rest of the car. I kind of liked the Lancer but there was virtually no rear window to see out of. I couldn't get anyone at the Pontiac dealership to look my way so I left. I really liked the Jetta but the cost of maintenance was a lot more than the Mazda. That and being a chick car sent me back to Mazda. (Most 3s here are driven by 30 and 40 something men so it seems.) My mom just bought a G6 and loves it but she also loved her Grand Am from several years back and I hated that car.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator

GREAT feedback everybody!! Thanks for helping out.

Now about this '30-40 yr old men' comment... I resemble that remark, except that I'll be 52 @ my next b'day in just a coupla' months and have had mine since I was 47.
Shipo is only a coupla' yrs younger and I believe Bob a little older.
I know of several 60+ yr olds driving MS3, some using them as weekend warriors too and loving every minute of it!!
I don't think age is much of a factor here. Neither is sex as there are many women driving and modding their MSP's, 3's and 6's as well. The car and the philosophy of the car either appeals to your tastes or it does not.
Speaking of 6's, if the stiffer ride of the 3 series turns out to be not your cup 'o' tea, have you considered looking into a 6, rakked? A little bigger and softer as well, with a few more amenities than the 3 can offer. The '09's are even bigger w/the new 2.5L 4, or 3.7L V-6.

Quick Reply: Coming from an '06 BMW 330i ...