Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Can someone check the smog sticker on their Mazda 3 S?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 03:10 PM
Question Can someone check the smog sticker on their Mazda 3 S?

I'm in California and looking to buy a used 2010 Mazda 3 hatchback from Oklahoma. As you may know, California has stricter smog emission regulations than most other states. I was told by the DMV that before you buy an out of state vehicle you should look under the hood, or in the door jam, for a sticker that says if the vehicle is 49 State Legal, 49 + California State Legal, or 50 State Legal.

If it's not too much to ask, can someone outside of California verify what the sticker says on their 2.5L Mazda 3? A photo would be awesome! Thanks.

Last edited by Adam3; 10-21-2011 at 03:17 PM.
Old 10-21-2011, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Adam3
I'm in California and looking to buy a used 2010 Mazda 3 hatchback from Kansas. As you may know, California has stricter smog emission regulations than most other states. I was told by the DMV that before you buy an out of state vehicle you should look under the hood, or in the door jam, for a sticker that says if the vehicle is 49 State Legal, 49 + California State Legal, or 50 State Legal.

If it's not too much to ask, can someone verify what the sticker says on their 2.5L Mazda 3? A photo would be awesome! Thanks.
A few comments:
  • For the 2009 model year Mazda did in fact sell two different versions of the Mazda3, one for the CARB states and one for the rest of us; I'm about 99% certain the same holds true for the 2010 model year as well. Said another way, just because one person in Toto land happens to have a 2010 Mazda3 which happens to be CARB compliant in no way means the car you're looking at will be.
  • With the above comment in mind, I don't believe it should be an issue for you. Why? There used to be, and I'm quite certain there still is, a mileage limit before any U.S. spec car can be licensed in California, and I think that limit is 7,500 miles. So, if the car you're looking at has at least 7,500 miles on it (or will before you attempt to get it licensed), you should be good to go. Call your local DMV and ask, say something like, "My aunt Dorothy from Kansas passed away and willed me her car, it has twelve-thousand miles on it; can I get it licensed here in California?"

Keep us posted on how you make out.

Old 10-21-2011, 03:33 PM

Thanks! Already called the DMV but they said to check the sticker.

Found this:

What type of smog station can inspect my out of state car?

Any type of smog station can inspect and certify your out of state vehicle (regular smog check & repair center, smog test only center, or Gold Shield smog station) so long as it's a used vehicle with at least 7,500 miles. New vehicles can not be registered in California unless they are 50-State Emissions certified.

If you've heard about California's strict smog laws there is no need to worry.

All you need to know is there is a difference with California legal and Federal legal emission requirements, and for the most part, California is stricter. However, a vehicle which is equipped with the necessary Federal Emission components is eligible for California registration as long as the vehicle's exhaust emissions fall within California's limits. It's true, in some cases Federal cars have different emission components but this does not ban them from being registered in California.
Sounds like I should be fine as long as the car passes CA smog.

Last edited by Adam3; 10-21-2011 at 03:43 PM.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Adam3
Thanks! Already called the DMV but they said to check the sticker.
Typical failure on the part of a DMV employee. Like you've discovered (and I correctly remembered), as long as the car has standard federal emission controls and 7,500 miles you're good to go.

Old 10-31-2011, 04:33 PM

How does it pass CA smog if it's a non CA CARB car? If I move to CA from Alabamy, I have to have additional controls put on? That makes no sense. Wait, we are talking about CA aren't we.

Old 10-31-2011, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Aubrey
How does it pass CA smog if it's a non CA CARB car? If I move to CA from Alabamy, I have to have additional controls put on? That makes no sense. Wait, we are talking about CA aren't we.
Written into the California CARB law is a provision to allow used "49-State" cars (a misnomer really as there are at the very least a half of a dozen states which are CARB sympathetic and require all new cars to be CARB compliant) to be "passed" if their factory emission controls are intact and operable AND there are at least 7,500 miles on the clock.

Old 10-31-2011, 05:11 PM

shipo nailed it.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:44 PM

Hmm, didn't know that. What's the magic about 7500 miles?

Old 11-01-2011, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by Aubrey
Hmm, didn't know that. What's the magic about 7500 miles?
Since when does the language of a law crafted by bureaucratic wonks need to be "magic", or for that matter, even make sense? It's just what they happened to come up with.

From my perspective, if there is any logic to the law at all, it is to allow folks to move to California and brings their cars with them while at the same time dissuading California residents from buying new cars with slightly more power and better fuel economy in say Oregon or Nevada and then immediately bringing them home.