Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Can I Glue A Spoiler On?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 08:33 PM
Default Can I Glue A Spoiler On?

I've decided that getting a spoiler for my Mazda 3 will make it look a lot cooler. I know that the rear lip spoiler requries no drilling at all, and instead you can just use the 3M adhesive to stick it on.

Will the same thing work for the regular rear spoiler? A) If it doesn't look good i can just take it off. B) If i buy another 3 I won't have to pay for a new spoiler (If i get the same color that is) C) I won't have to drill a hole in my car or pay some mechanic 300 bucks to install it.

Will this work? Is it possible to just glue on the spoiler somehow? What kind of tape/glue should I use if this is a possibility? I think it is the safest way to go. And if it doesn't work, I can always just drill the hole in later. I'd appriciate any feedback! Thanks!

Old 02-17-2008, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Can I Glue A Spoiler On?

As I understand it, the lip spoiler uses 3M gray double sided tape, just like the side-moldings, and I understand can beeasily had at Home Depot (cheaper than Small-Mart too.)
So yes, it can be removed and re-installed on your mantle if you wanted it there.

Hey!! What an idea!!! A lip spoiler for the mantle!! I'll be rich!! I'm a genius!!!

(I think I'm getting carried away.... )

Old 02-17-2008, 08:54 PM

Yeah awesome info, but i mean, will it work for the wing spoiler as well? Thats what I want to try. Has anyone done it?

Old 02-17-2008, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator

I don't think so, Tim.
I wouldn't try that. Notenough surface area to support the wing and too much wind pressurethat would tend to puta shearing force against the glue, adhesiveor tape.

With the lip the pressure caused by the passing wind would be down against the lip itself. And there is more surface area (full contact) for the adheives to attach itself to the body.

The wing only has two fairly small, verticalsurfaces that attach to the car body, and the possiblity of the wind lifting it fromunderneath, especially when not driving the car or in high crosswinds. I believe it wouldn't last a week if it were just stuck on. And if it blew off while you were on the road and someone was behind you.... they'd be eating your spoiler.
Not a good idea, imo.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:20 PM
VB

ORIGINAL: virgin1

I don't think so, Tim.
I wouldn't try that. Not enough surface area to support the wing and too much wind pressure that would tend to put a shearing force against the glue, adhesive or tape.

With the lip the pressure caused by the passing wind would be down against the lip itself. And there is more surface area (full contact) for the adheives to attach itself to the body.

The wing only has two fairly small, vertical surfaces that attach to the car body, and the possiblity of the wind lifting it from underneath, especially when not driving the car or in high crosswinds. I believe it wouldn't last a week if it were just stuck on. And if it blew off while you were on the road and someone was behind you.... they'd be eating your spoiler.
Not a good idea, imo.

Not to mention that this would put your 3 on the same level as a Honda.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:39 PM

hahaha. please try this asap! post your results!

haha!

Old 02-18-2008, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator

You guys are baaaddddd!!
If he'd be installing the factory wing, why would it put his 3 on the same level as aHonda, VB? Personally, I like the factory wing on the sedans.