Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Buying Help: Mazda 3 Hatch, Wrangler, or Outback?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 07:20 PM
Default Buying Help: Mazda 3 Hatch, Wrangler, or Outback?

Hello!

So, I'm new to the forum here and looking for a bit of purchasing advice, if anyone has time/feels like it

For some reason, I'm really indecisive on cars right now. I'm not totally head over heels with anything at the moment, and I'm wondering if you have any experiences/thoughts to add. I've test driven a '99 Wrangler manual, 2007ish Wrangler automatic, Subaru Outback automatic, and a Mazda 3 automatic. Whatever I get, I'd like to go manual for the fun/awesome factor, and just to do something different.

I live within 3 miles of my work and usually commute via bike, although that will change during the winter. I mostly drive around town, picking up groceries or taking my two roommates and I on little adventures. I also drive about 130 miles to visit my parents once a month. Ideally, I'd like to be able to jump in my vehicle and feel confident taking off to Portland or Washington (about a 10 hour trip) whenever, but realistically, I won't be doing much of this. I do want to feel confident at highway speeds of 80 mph though, and in the curvy mountain roads around Idaho, which is one thing I'm questioning about the Wrangler.

The vehicles I'm thinking about right now are the Jeep Wrangler, Mazda Speed Hatchback (or Speed3), and the Subaru Outback. I'm up for other considerations too, but am trying to narrow it down.

-I'm looking to purchase a new car and have about $9,000 to $11,000 to spend.
-I'm a 23 year old single guy, just out of college and making 11/hr, 40 hrs a week and live in Idaho.

-I currently drive a '97 Buick Lesabre

-I'd like to get something with under 100,000 miles and preferably more like 60-80.

-I don't do much offroading/mountain driving, but basically a few snowboard trips a year, which any car could handle.

-I really like the look/customization factors of the Wrangler, but not so much the interior. I could do some seat modifications I'm sure, but it's hard to feel like you're upgrading when going from a '97 vehicle to a '99 (that was the Wrangler I tested). I can afford a much newer/more comfortable Mazda on the interior.

Basically, the Mazda or the Subaru would be the most reasonable and sensical choices, especially due to gas mileage and comfort, but there's part of me that really wants to like the Wrangler too It would be my daily driver though, and especially with limited money, the mpg of either the Wrangler or the Speed 3 is something that I might come to regret later.

Anyway, if anyone has any tips or personal experience they'd like to throw in, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Old 08-17-2014, 07:33 PM
Banned

I can see lots of money going to the Jeep Wrangler as it is slow. The mpg on it, especially with larger tires would suffer. Tires & rims would be costly as well as intake, exhaust and a tuner, and it still would be slow! --- Unless you put a 5.7L Hemi in it (just watching this on Spike TV--see it next Sun am). Hemi JK: V6 to V8 Swap | Truck Tech | PowerBlockTV - Full Episodes
The Subaru Outback is all wheel drive? If it is it would make the most sense as far as practicality and winter driving.
Mazdaspeed 3 would be the Zoom Zoom choice. You could get reasonable mileage if you stay off the accelerator. I would also advise not stepping on the gas until the car is warmed up or you will get turbo problems!

Last edited by UseYourNoggin; 08-17-2014 at 07:38 PM.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:21 PM

Stay open minded, you have more options. I just looked at craigslist, Boise and filtered with your requirements: there are 41 ads. However there is no filter for miles.
With your income I would stay away from complicated technologies such as turbo engines. Besides whats the point of having a powerful turbo if you aren't using the power in order to safe gas?
If you have 9 grand, do not spend more than 7 grand on your new car. Keep the remainder of the money for very good tires, alignment, fluid changes, tune up, a set of winter wheels and flowers for mom.
I am leaning towards a Subaru for your location and intended uses. But do some research. Subarus have their weak spots: wheel bearings.
Also get some input from users of TrueDelta -- Real Car Owners Driving Real Car Information. They helped me narrow down my choice of vehicle. I was indecisive as well. With their help I came to buy a Pontiac Vibe even though I never considered it before. They have a page dedicated to selecting a ride: "My next car?"

Stay in touch.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:54 AM
Banned
Exclamation

Originally Posted by tanprotege
Stay open minded, you have more options. I just looked at craigslist, Boise and filtered with your requirements: there are 41 ads. However there is no filter for miles.
With your income I would stay away from complicated technologies such as turbo engines. Besides whats the point of having a powerful turbo if you aren't using the power in order to safe gas?
If you have 9 grand, do not spend more than 7 grand on your new car. Keep the remainder of the money for very good tires, alignment, fluid changes, tune up, a set of winter wheels and flowers for mom.....
"My next car?"

Stay in touch.
Who buys flowers for a mom! F the flowers, i'm sure a bottle of wine would be more appreciated, especially if she has to deal with you buying a car and modifying it!

Old 08-18-2014, 09:46 AM

i have a 2002 outback, 2.5, base model. an outback is not a cool car for a 23 yr old. i use it to deliver mail in the boonies. i converted it to right hand drive. i strongly considered a jeep, either a cherokee, or a wrangler. i think cherokee rhd last production was 2002, and they are hard to find. anyway, i drove a couple of them, but the biggest decision maker for me was reliability. dont wanna be stuck out in the boonies with a buncha mail to deliver. and while i was working part time for oriellys, they had a TON of parts for jeeps, and a lot of jeep owners would come in looking for parts, and just cussing the jeep brand, always saying "dont ever get a jeep, everything breaks". google worst cars, and see where jeep is. probably nr 1. subaru has headgasket problems with the 2.5 n/a motor, and i have seen a lot of posts that the very latest cars, like 2012 and later have serious piston ring problems. i think the subaru awd system is the best out there. it will go where others cannot. a couple of years ago, we had a serious ice storm, very rare for north texas. the entire city shut down. i had to go to the airport, about 50 miles. i passed dozens of cars in the ditch, a lot of them 4wd. traction was no problem. stopping was, but that is normal on ice. the subaru uses viscous couplings, which are the best. i think you should look at a wrx. the earlier ones had hatchbacks, 230 hp turbo, awd. tons of bolt on go fast, way more than the mazda. awd means total traction, no wheelspin. check out the later automatic transmissions with paddle shifters, much better than manual. on a dry road, you will easily be the quickest when the lite turns green, the other rwd or rwd will be spinning their wheels, you will be long gone. the 4 cyl turbo motors have different head gaskets, there is no problem there.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:02 PM
Banned

Found out what you can do to your Jeep!
It's called a Jeepnee or Jeepney - many in Manila used as people movers. Don't drive in Manila was an episode on TV last night. They have been extended and dolled up. You could charge admission for rides!