Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Brighter Head/Fog Lights?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 01:31 PM
Default RE: Brighter Head/Fog Lights?

ORIGINAL: Lev

As for fogs, some people put HID's in, whichI think is a little rediculous. Itblinds oncoming drivers, and youhave a higher chance of getting pulled over.Also, turning the HID bulb on and off killsits life. If you rarely use your brights then it might be worth it. Silverstars are NOT any brighter than halogens. All they are is a halogen bulb with a blue tint. Puttinga tinton a bulb would allow less light to escape. Virgin1 had a good explanation as to why they don't work. He'll pop his head in and give some good advice as well. I recently bought LED bulbs for my fogs. They look good, but they do not project like the halogens did. I did that mod for looks becauseI never used my fogs, until I got the LED's.
When aimed high they do cause alot of problems. Also some fogs have projectors in them thus giving them a cut-off which shields on-coming drivers.

Old 02-24-2008, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Siber Express

It is amazing that the words of1 man can put the whole product line down.
I know from my own experience (IE changing the bulbs at night in the same place and measuring the spot where the light ends before the vehicle is moved between the 2 lights) I have a beam of light that can be used to see 28% further down the road, and that was with the Standard Silver Star 9007 .VS the Standard Sylvania 9007 bulb in my F150, and I can see better yet with the Ultras in the same vehicle.
As for longevity, I ran the SilverStars 3 years in my F150, 2/3 of the year I am driving with the lights on 1-1.5 hours a day and the other 1/3 2.5-3.5 hours a day and never had a bulb failure, it wasn't even6 months before the stock bulb burnt out.
Here is a link to others http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd.../Testimonials/
And in Truth, the headlamps do not show as blue either, they are white

Any blueness around the peripherals is the paint on the truck
Nothing personal, Ken. Really!!
I have learned that everything in the physical world has actions and reactions. Everything is a compromise. (<<< NOT an original thought, I know...)Change one thing and it is likely going to affect something else.

And again not to stir things up, but the output of the Sylvania SilverStars, or any other quality "blue bulb"appears white at the expense of the natural yellow a halogen bulb generates. The Osram SilverStar's (Sylvania's parent company in Europe) are a different matter entirely.
It makes sense to me that the natural tendency of a tungsten or halogen bulb is toward the yellow light (low temp K) spectrum.That's measured fact, by the experts.If that is compromised, in this case forcing the light through a blue coating (higher K temp,)the output will be lessassuming the same filament is used.
To compensate for that, the filament has to produce abrighter and hotter light. The only way to do that and keep the same power draw (wattage) is to reducefilament diameter or length, or by reducing the vacuum inside the envelope.Both will have an affect on the life of the bulb.When you do that, the life of the bulb is liable to be shortened (in theory.)
That's all I'm saying. It's physics.Theory, based on measured science.
Daniel Stern is a degreed lighting engineer that's had an affect on the laws our government adapts for automotive headlights. I have read through the entire site. Some of it is sooo technical, that it's hard for me to decipher.I remember the days when in order to get good lighting from your cars headlights, you had to break the law and run H-4 motorcycle only DOT approved conversion kits. We have come a long wayto getting to E-spec headlights and Daniel had a hand in that. Having read his site and experienced a lot of what he is referring to, I respect his opinion.

I still love ya', Man. Please don't hate me for disagreeing with you on this. It's not worth it, imo.

Old 02-24-2008, 06:00 PM

Actually is was not you, it was the Sterns website Richard. Also the comparison I am going on is mine, and not anyone else's. No Science behind it, just where the actual light stopped on both bulbs and the fact that I do see better with the white light over the yellow. Also the Blue Bulbs themselves suck for vision, and are really bad in the rain.
I also was told by a Sylvania rep that part of the difference in the light output was a different composition in the gas and filament in the bulb itself, hence the added expense in the purchase price. But that was a Sylvania rep also.
BTW, the fog lights in my F150 have the European Osram H1's in them now, but that picture was with the US bulbs.