Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Airbags Driver Side

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2023, 10:10 AM
Default Airbags Driver Side

Hi, just wanted to ask that if an Air Bag on driver side seat has been deployed, is it repairable or I have to buy a new one? I noticed that if new airbag is required the whole seat will be replaced and its hard to get one. Need advise please. I have 2017 Mazda 3.Thanks

Last edited by Horse4190; 09-11-2023 at 10:42 AM.
Old 09-11-2023, 10:19 AM

Welcome to the forum
It really helps when asking help to give the year and model of you Madza?
When members using various devices don't always easily see thread location

maybe in this case the trim level.

Old 09-11-2023, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Callisto
Welcome to the forum
It really helps when asking help to give the year and model of you Madza?
When members using various devices don't always easily see thread location

maybe in this case the trim level.
sorry. I have 2017 Mazda 3. Appreciate your help and thanks

Old 09-11-2023, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Horse4190
sorry. I have 2017 Mazda 3. Appreciate your help and thanks
Ok which trim? Do you have leather or cloth seats?

Old 09-11-2023, 10:58 AM

Your air bag must be replaced. If the air bag was deployed as designed, then the break/away thread broke, and the airbag was deployed without ripping the seat material. The air bag can easily be replaced, and any Auto upholstery shop can stitch/sew using breakaway thread the panels that covered the air bag. If the material was ripped the upholstery shop should be able to replace that panel. As long as there was not fading from the sun or excessive wear the basic replacement of the air bag and seat repair is pretty straight forward. You might simply want to check with an Auto upholstery shop to do the complete air bag and seat panel repair.

We sub out this kind of repair even if we could do the air bag replacement mainly because the upholstery shop, we use would rather do the complete job. So, depending on a few variables most of the time we pull the customers seat and take it to the upholstery shop and when they are finished, we install and check the SRS system completely.

Old 09-11-2023, 01:25 PM

Your air bag must be replaced. If the air bag was deployed as designed, then the break/away thread broke, and the airbag was deployed without ripping the seat material. The air bag can easily be replaced, and any Auto upholstery shop can stitch/sew using breakaway thread the panels that covered the air bag. If the material was ripped the upholstery shop should be able to replace that panel. As long as there was not fading from the sun or excessive wear the basic replacement of the air bag and seat repair is pretty straight forward. You might simply want to check with an Auto upholstery shop to do the complete air bag and seat panel repair.

We sub out this kind of repair even if we could do the air bag replacement mainly because the upholstery shop, we use would rather do the complete job. So, depending on a few variables most of the time we pull the customers seat and take it to the upholstery shop and when they are finished, we install and check the SRS system completely.
Thanks for your response. Good thing to know as I didnt know this what to do. The seat that I have is leather. I have to find an upholstery shop in Toronto who can do this.

Old 09-11-2023, 01:28 PM

Thanks for your response. Good thing to know as I didnt know this what to do. The seat that I have is leather. I have to find an upholstery shop in Toronto who can do this.

Old 09-11-2023, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Horse4190
Thanks for your response. Good thing to know as I didn't know this what to do. The seat that I have is leather. I have to find an upholstery shop in Toronto who can do this.
If they tell you it is specialized thread... its not! HAHA> Well technically if by the book (if you went to any auto manufactures dealerships) it is a thread specific to break free under a load ... All they need to do is use light weight thread. But wait until they tell you or suggest that that thread cost more and can't be ordered unless bulk order! Also, not true.