Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda3 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda3-26/)
-   -   Airbags Driver Side (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda3-26/airbags-driver-side-52609/)

Horse4190 09-11-2023 10:10 AM

Airbags Driver Side

Hi, just wanted to ask that if an Air Bag on driver side seat has been deployed, is it repairable or I have to buy a new one? I noticed that if new airbag is required the whole seat will be replaced and its hard to get one. Need advise please. I have 2017 Mazda 3.Thanks

Callisto 09-11-2023 10:19 AM

Welcome to the forum
It really helps when asking help to give the year and model of you Madza?
When members using various devices don't always easily see thread location

maybe in this case the trim level.

Horse4190 09-11-2023 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Callisto (Post 219472)
Welcome to the forum
It really helps when asking help to give the year and model of you Madza?
When members using various devices don't always easily see thread location

maybe in this case the trim level.

sorry. I have 2017 Mazda 3. Appreciate your help and thanks

Callisto 09-11-2023 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Horse4190 (Post 219477)
sorry. I have 2017 Mazda 3. Appreciate your help and thanks

Ok which trim? Do you have leather or cloth seats?

Callisto 09-11-2023 10:58 AM

Your air bag must be replaced. If the air bag was deployed as designed, then the break/away thread broke, and the airbag was deployed without ripping the seat material. The air bag can easily be replaced, and any Auto upholstery shop can stitch/sew using breakaway thread the panels that covered the air bag. If the material was ripped the upholstery shop should be able to replace that panel. As long as there was not fading from the sun or excessive wear the basic replacement of the air bag and seat repair is pretty straight forward. You might simply want to check with an Auto upholstery shop to do the complete air bag and seat panel repair.

We sub out this kind of repair even if we could do the air bag replacement mainly because the upholstery shop, we use would rather do the complete job. So, depending on a few variables most of the time we pull the customers seat and take it to the upholstery shop and when they are finished, we install and check the SRS system completely.

Horse4190 09-11-2023 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto (Post 219481)
Your air bag must be replaced. If the air bag was deployed as designed, then the break/away thread broke, and the airbag was deployed without ripping the seat material. The air bag can easily be replaced, and any Auto upholstery shop can stitch/sew using breakaway thread the panels that covered the air bag. If the material was ripped the upholstery shop should be able to replace that panel. As long as there was not fading from the sun or excessive wear the basic replacement of the air bag and seat repair is pretty straight forward. You might simply want to check with an Auto upholstery shop to do the complete air bag and seat panel repair.

We sub out this kind of repair even if we could do the air bag replacement mainly because the upholstery shop, we use would rather do the complete job. So, depending on a few variables most of the time we pull the customers seat and take it to the upholstery shop and when they are finished, we install and check the SRS system completely.

Thanks for your response. Good thing to know as I didnt know this what to do. The seat that I have is leather. I have to find an upholstery shop in Toronto who can do this.

Horse4190 09-11-2023 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto (Post 219481)

Thanks for your response. Good thing to know as I didnt know this what to do. The seat that I have is leather. I have to find an upholstery shop in Toronto who can do this.

Callisto 09-11-2023 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Horse4190 (Post 219484)
Thanks for your response. Good thing to know as I didn't know this what to do. The seat that I have is leather. I have to find an upholstery shop in Toronto who can do this.

If they tell you it is specialized thread... its not! HAHA> Well technically if by the book (if you went to any auto manufactures dealerships) it is a thread specific to break free under a load ... All they need to do is use light weight thread. But wait until they tell you or suggest that that thread cost more and can't be ordered unless bulk order! Also, not true.