Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Aftermarket exhaust improve mpg?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 05:33 PM
Default Aftermarket exhaust improve mpg?

Hi, I willmost likelybethe owner of a Mazda 3S Sport in the near future, and I have a question about aftermarket exhaust. The extent of my knowledge of engines and how theyworkis limited, so this question mayseem very basic for some. The question is: does adding an aftermarket exhaust system improve mpg? I am debating whether I should get the better looking and faster Mazda 3SSportor the more fuel efficient and cheaperHonda Civic LX. Butif I could improvethe mpg on the Mazda 3by switching the exhaust,there would no longer be a comparison between the twofor me. If it could improve mpg, are there any products you guys would recommend? Thank you.

- Mike

Old 06-26-2007, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Aftermarket exhaust improve mpg?

I didn't notice any changes after installing mine.
If it's fuel mileage you are mainly after, why not look @ the 3i 2.0 w/5-speed. If it's the S options you want, getone w/the sport and power packages. You can upgradenearly everything except the engine, of course.

Old 06-26-2007, 07:15 PM

with my intake and cat back, i get on average 60-80 more km's to the tank.
this is because of the increase flow. the air has a much easier time coming into the engine, and a much easier time getting out.

i was surprised too at the increase fuel economy

Old 07-07-2007, 06:56 PM

ORIGINAL: dentinger

with my intake and cat back, i get on average 60-80 more km's to the tank.
this is because of the increase flow. the air has a much easier time coming into the engine, and a much easier time getting out.

i was surprised too at the increase fuel economy
which was how much?

Old 07-07-2007, 09:36 PM

wat do u mean how much??

i get around an additional 80-100 km's per tank now.
and insane gas mileage on the highway now!! so, im guessing ~600 km's to one tank, if i dont stop.... i'll find out this summer....

i tihnk that answers ur question........

Old 07-08-2007, 11:26 AM

well with my 04 3i 2.0 auto i noticed a decrease in gas miliage as stupid as that sounds. I have an intake and full exhaust, header, ect. stock i used to get about 90-95 miles per quarter tank now i'm lucky 60 out of a quarter tank with using the same typical driving habits....The killer for me was putting that stupid header on because it shuts down the second oxygen sensor and it throws a cel saying that no activity in second 02 and then when your only running on one O2 sensor it tells the engine that you are running lean and idle speeds. So my compy tries to compensate but throwing a ton of gas in there. I back-fire like an srt-4 when i down shift and I can see my gas gage go down as I floor it. The depressing thing is my car uses gas like a v-8 with a 4 cyl power. Huge HP gain with that exhaust, Huge decrease in gas milage. im running around 170-175HP

Old 07-10-2007, 07:36 PM

ORIGINAL: mzdaspd304

well with my 04 3i 2.0 auto i noticed a decrease in gas miliage as stupid as that sounds. I have an intake and full exhaust, header, ect. stock i used to get about 90-95 miles per quarter tank now i'm lucky 60 out of a quarter tank with using the same typical driving habits....The killer for me was putting that stupid header on because it shuts down the second oxygen sensor and it throws a cel saying that no activity in second 02 and then when your only running on one O2 sensor it tells the engine that you are running lean and idle speeds. So my compy tries to compensate but throwing a ton of gas in there. I back-fire like an srt-4 when i down shift and I can see my gas gage go down as I floor it. The depressing thing is my car uses gas like a v-8 with a 4 cyl power. Huge HP gain with that exhaust, Huge decrease in gas milage. im running around 170-175HP
you can buy an O2 sensor simulator from ebay for about $25 and it should solve your cel problem and help with the gas mileage.