Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

2012 mazda3 skyactiv automatic transmission issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by DavidNewMazda
So I just bought a automatic Mazda3 2012 with the SkyActive about about a week and a half ago. I've noticed incredibly anemic performance when driving up a hill in second gear. If I'm starting up a hill, I quickly accelerate to ~8 MPH in first, at which point it switches to second and I then sit there between 8 and 10 MPH until I push down on the peddle so hard that it downshifts and I get to accelerate again. This has left me manually shifting if I want to be able to make any kind of decent performance.

Then I've also noticed when I'm driving on a flat road (highway with stop and go traffic) that it seems to have a half-second delay between pressing the peddle and when the car actually moves, and a jolt as I transition between first and second. It feels a lot like driving a hybrid to me -- little delays, jolts as the motor turns on and off, etc.

Does this sound like the behavior that y'all are talking about? Maybe something where the dealer did not perform the reprogram (though that was mentioned for cars 4-6 months older than mine..). Or is there any chance that this is an actual problem the dealer could fix?

This is my first new car (and really, first nice car), so I'm somewhat lost, and would love any feedback possible.
I've had my automatic Skyactiv (4 door i Touring) about six months. Initially I was very disappointed with the transmission, experiencing many of the symptoms described here, although perhaps not to the same degree. This is the first car automatic transmission car I've driven regularly in over 25 years, so I though perhaps I was expecting too much. I started shifting manually quite a bit, but I also found that frustrating since the car will still upshift automatically and it occurs well before the redline. Now I generally stay in automatic mode but use the gas pedal much more aggressively-it doesn't seem to have much effect on milage.

Over time either I've gotten used to the car or the car has gotten used to me, but I find the action of the transmission much more agreeable and I generally enjoy driving the car. All I can say is give it a few months.

Last edited by bullwinkle3; 04-18-2012 at 07:58 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:32 PM

taken down

Last edited by some_guy_out_there; 03-06-2013 at 02:28 PM. Reason: taken down
Old 04-23-2012, 12:27 PM

taken down

Last edited by some_guy_out_there; 03-06-2013 at 02:28 PM. Reason: taken down
Old 04-23-2012, 12:48 PM

Hard to tell. When the car is jumping 4k in revs is the trans downshifting or just spinning as if it is in netural?
I'll have to see what mine does I rarely need to get the revs much past 4500 let alone 5500-6000

Old 04-23-2012, 02:15 PM

taken down

Last edited by some_guy_out_there; 03-06-2013 at 02:29 PM. Reason: taken down
Old 04-23-2012, 04:36 PM

well I beat on my car a little like you appear to do in the video and not once did my car do any of what your car does. I was crusing along in 5th gear and did as you did pressed the gas to pass or speed up and my car jumped to 3 gear and took off no hesitation no shudder on speeding up.
I would have to say it def not normal operation. Not sure what to tell you, other than try another dealer or seek lemon law.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:06 PM

taken down

Old 05-02-2012, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by some_guy_out_there
That is what i have been doing lately. Mazda will not authorize any fixes on the car, since that will mean the car is a lemon. So they would keep me in the car and try to drag it out. That is the company you bought your car from. Also i did not "beat" my car, that is how i have to drive it, that is what Mazda said was perfect. Your car catches the gears, my car dose not.

Best of luck with your new car, god knows you will need it.
I can understand your frustrations if you don't like the car. Just trying to understand the problem here a little better, since I watched the video. Are you saying that in D, engine keeps jumping from 3000 to 5000 rpm every time you press the gas? If I were to just judge from the video, it would seem that the car was put in the manual mode, so that it won't upshift as you press the pass to accelerate. It's a bit hard to notice any shutter from the video, you would need to film the car from the outside maybe in an empty parking lot.

Not to defend Mazda or anything, but the same transmission and similar engine has been put into CX-5 and after 6000 plus units, except for minor complaints that the auto transmission is too willing to upshift to keep the engine at low RPM, I have not seen such complaints.

Personally I'm interested in a Mazda with the Skyactiv technology so I do look out for potential issues before making a purchase.

If that happens in D, then there's definitely some issue with your car. Stay calm and persistent, actively working with MazdaUSA and the dealer to get your problem resolved. Get an attorney involved if needed.

Old 06-13-2012, 04:15 PM
Default Me too!

I have the problem when turning from a stop light on a level road as well! I was turning left and gunned the throttle and nearly got hit! Car didn't seem to want to move!

Old 06-13-2012, 04:37 PM

taken down

Quick Reply: 2012 mazda3 skyactiv automatic transmission issues