Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

2010 Mazdaspeed3/MPS Revealed

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator

I was hoping for a few more and varied opinions here before actually posting my own. But, no time like the present, I guess. I would like to see the car in person before passing final judgement, if there is such a thing? After all, after getting used to seeing things that at first glance looked strange to us, they become more familair and acceptable after a while. Such it is with the current face lift model for me.

I'm surprised no one so far has noticed the key hole in the hatch?

Upon first perusal of this redesign, my first thought was that the hood scoop, while a good idea for the TMIC, made the car look like a Subbie.
That DUMB growing with each new generation Winged badge. It's too big and in-your-face. A more subtle one would have been my choice.

Then there's the smiley faced grill. One of my all time favorite cars is the bugeyed, "Bugeye" Sprite, another car with a smiling grill. The difference is that Austin got the look right!!

Then there are those stupid looking, stick out into the wind fog light cavities. But at least they went back to round fog lights. 'Nuff said there.

The headlights, if going to a single, bi-xenon projector set-up, then why make them so big? The front might look cleaner if they were smaller and less in-your-face.

To me the sides are a nice evolution of the current generation. No complaints here.

The rear, well, I don't know? The bumper is certainly more intrusive than before.

The tails could be OK, but it's hard to judge from these pictures.

Visually I like the dual exhaust tips, even if they are not necessary for performance.

I think Mazda chose to keep the 2.3L DISI-T because the 2.5 would not benefit as much from the turbo. The 2.3 has a long stroke and is already a torque monster for a FWD. Mazda had to develop and installed software in the current generations ECU to tame wheel spin and torque steer. A 2.5L with an even longer stroke would worsen that problem, IMO.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:06 PM

You pretty much took my post and cleaned it up ^^

The disagreement i have with your opinion is the sides, i dont what it is but when another company rips of anothers design it just gets under my skin (in this case honda). Its also the reason why i almost went into a rage when i saw the taillights (in that case mitsu).

Something i didnt notice until you pointed it out was the mazda badge...we get it its a mazda . I thinks a matter of time before mazda wins the biggest manufacture badge award.

I remeber seeing the newer mazda 6 on paper and saying...wth is this? Then i went to my dealer and was like DAM the interior looks nice...and thats all i had to say about it, o and the 2.5 has the same external dimensions as the current motors so a motor swap is possible w/o new mounts.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:53 PM

No problem....its sometimes hard to translate context via text....

Well I've personally worked on both Mazda (2000-2003 Mazda 626, 2004 Mazda6) and Ford (too many to list) programs and I can tell you for fact that the outward design appearance of the Mazda product is solely Mazda. They have a totally independent organization.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:05 PM

yea when i 1st joined here it was hard to tell when someone was being sarcastic or what, i kinda just take it as is no harm no foul

Back on topic....new mazdas are fail

Old 02-07-2009, 09:05 PM

I like everything but the front Bumper.
As for the Key hole in the hatch, just wondering if they are going to make power windows and door locks an option on the 2010 HB.

Old 02-08-2009, 04:33 AM
Super Moderator

I kinda' doubt that, Ken, especially since a key less start system is also coming. But that key hole is certainly a curiosity?
If you look closer, these pictures are actually of an MPS, Euro/Aussie. Perhaps that has something to do with this one having the key hole?

Old 02-08-2009, 07:36 AM

Another thing Richard, don't get to used to the round Fog lights

Unless of course if you were just talking about the Speed Version.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator

Who's looking at the fog lights?

Old 02-08-2009, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by virgin1
Who's looking at the fog lights?
You do Have a Point there

Old 02-08-2009, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator

Yes. The one on the top of my head.

Quick Reply: 2010 Mazdaspeed3/MPS Revealed