Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

2005 Problems...help

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 08:35 PM
Default 2005 Problems...help

Hello

Thanks for your help in advance. First, I bought my 2005 Mazda3 5-door last February, so I've had it a year. It's the basic model with an automatic with the moonroof/cd package. About a month later, the breaks started making this horrible noise. I took it in to the dealership a couple times, and each time they told me nothing is wrong with the brakes. Finally, I think some other people have been complaining and they believed me, but they've replaced brakepads and resurfaced the rotors, but no luck. The horrible screech happens when it is cold, wet, or just humid. It sounds like it comes from the front, and mostly happens when I back out, but it has happened during driving forward. After about two minutes, the noise goes away. The noise is so loud you can hear it down a street block, no joke. The dealership pretty much tells me tough luck since it isn't a safety issue, and they can't do anything unless Mazda engineering comes up with a solution. I've tried calling Mazda directly, with no luck. I've emailed Mazda, but they don't return emails. I'm at the end of my rope with this problem, I thought by buying a new car I'd avoid all the embarrasing noises that I had to deal with with my seventeen year old Honda.

Secondly, I have read on here about gas mileage, and that people are getting like 300 miles a tank! I only get like 270 hiway, 250 in the city. Is something wrong??

Thanks again for any suggestions. Madza doesn't really feel like assisting me.

PG .

Old 02-03-2007, 08:50 PM
Default RE: 2005 Problems...help

thats weird....it might be a piece of metal in there....like, maybe one of the clips that holds the pads in?? or maybe something stuck in the pad??

and about the gas mileage, nothing is wrong....
the people getting 300km/tank probably drive standard tranny's, so they shift realy early and are really easy on teh gas.
but there are about a million factors that effect gas mileage.
such as proper tire pressure, outside temperature, headwind, etc, etc.
i get about the same gas mileage as you.... 250 miles or 350 kms if i really try....which almost never happens

Old 02-03-2007, 10:11 PM

I drive the **** out of my 2.0L 5-speed and still average 28 or so mpg.....If I'm easy on it I'm into the 30's

I typically pass 1/2 tank between 180-200 miles into the tank.

Old 02-04-2007, 10:36 AM

I agree w/ dentinger about the clip. I had a similar problem w/ the Dodge p/u I drive for work. The clip has slipped out of place a number of different times. When it slips, it rubs the rotor and makes ridiculous noises. You may also want to look at the back side of the rotor, around the dustcover. There may be something loose there that's rubbing. As far as my 3 goes, I've not had the first problem and routinely get 330 miles out of a tank of gas, driving hwy/city mixed.

Sorry you're having trouble but don't give up w/ Mazda. They'll stop worrying about your repairs as soon as you stop requesting help. And brakes are most certainly a safety issue. Good luck.

Old 02-09-2007, 12:01 PM

This is normal with 3s.

The discs have a higher content of iron than most cars. On humid days, after rain, or after you've washed it, look at your rotors. They're rusty. Bothers me when i wash & wax it, an hour later I see rusty discs. Also, being in Houston with high humidity just about every day, I have rusty rotors every morning.

It sounds and feels bad the first couple stops, especially when backing out of the driveway, but a mile later the the rust is gone.

Depending on what brand of pads you have on your car, this noise can be much greater. I've heard some of the hi performance pads like EBC sound terrible, like you need a brake job.

If the dealer cannot find anything wrong, take it to another dealer if you're still concerned. If they cannot find anything wrong & it really bothers you, invest in a set of aftermarket rotors.

With a 2.3L and 5 speed manual, I average around 24mpg mixed driving. I've gone as high as 31 mpg on long trips. I've found that fuel economy in these cars is entirely dependent on the way you drive, city vs highway, & AC on or off. And also, the AC compressor is on if you have it set to defrost, even though your AC button is not pushed on.

Old 02-19-2007, 09:30 PM

I have a 05 3i 4 door. I have the same problems and what causes it, happens when condensation gets into the brake pads. My good friend is a mechanic at a Mazda dealership and he works on my car everytime. He got the information from a main Mazda Tech out of the north. There is nothing that can be done about it other than by cross drilled rotors and the expensive pads that go with them.

Old 02-19-2007, 10:32 PM

Brakes on the 3 have had terrible problems with noise in both front and rear. Does the repair order that you got back from dealer after the pad replace list the part number of front brake pad that was installed.
See link to following TSB on front brake noise. Do not know if it applies to you, but you can check to see if your VIN falls within those listed at top of the TSB.See if the part number at the end of the TSB matches what was installed on your 3.

http://www.finishlineperformance.com.../docs/0004.pdf

Old 02-20-2007, 07:34 PM
Lev

i have an 05 4dr 3sand the same thing happens to me. It started happening2-3weeks after igot the car. When i asked the dealer about it hejust told me it is justa defect for that model year and there was nothing they could do. It is extremely embarrassing and when it is very cold and you back outand press the break, it sounds like a freight train. I also get around that gas mileage. i have been told it is because of the cold, so i am just waiting for the warmerweather to see if it is really because of the cold.

Old 02-20-2007, 11:04 PM

you shouldnt have any problem in warmer weather. I only see it when it is cold weather or has been rainging for a while. Never had a problem when its above 50 degrees