Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

04 Mazda 3 1.6 service

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 04:37 AM
Default 04 Mazda 3 1.6 service

Hello.
Just registered and my first post so of course I'm looking for help! I own a 2004 Mazda 3 1.6 (1st gen) with 117k miles. I'm considering doing a service on it myself to save a few bob but mainly to learn how. This would be the first service I've done on any car so be gentle.

What list of things should I check/change? What would be difficult to check and needs a mechanic?

I think the front brake pads need changing. Should I not do this until I learn more?

What tools will I need?

Any manuals worth getting?

I'm just looking to do the basics for now to maintain the car and keep it safe. I realise this is broad question so thanks for any answers I get

Old 09-16-2012, 06:26 AM

Hello Paul, welcome to the site! If you could please put your vehicle in your signature (look at mine as an example) that will help us all out in future posts you may make, that way we dont always have to ask you what you drive

Well lets see, first things to get would be a good quality hydraulic jack and some jack stands. Now for a guess on my part, judging by words you chose and the fact you have the 1.6L I am going to say your in the UK somewhere which will be unfortunate because there are NO Haynes manuals printed for the European 3 that I can find, only the North America spec 3s so I have sent them an email asking why there is no manual for our cars. Service wise you should have almost no issues with doing an oil change, air filter replacement, tire rotations, brake pad change, belt replacements and any basic service needed. Once you are comfortable with working on your car you can move up to harder items like replacing the brake fluid, replacing the coolant and hoses, fuel filter and so on. As for your brakes right now I am not sure of the tools you will need since I haven't done my brakes yet but I need too soon, generally disc brakes are very easy to service since there are no springs you have to remove like drums would.

How does the car drive right now? Does it eat tires or do they wear evenly? No abnormal noises, smells or visual cues? I hope your car is in good shape and not very rusty, that helps a whole lot with fixing problems if you have a rust free car.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:41 AM

MazdaTirol

I checked in the local auto store and they didn't have a Mazda 3 manual either. I thought they were just out of stock

I'm going to start with the oil change, air filter, oil filter and tire rotation as you suggest. I can move on from there when done. What belts need to be changed?

The brake pads look to have some meat on them. All four were changed 30K miles ago. Would they be due a change? Also, what makes me think they need to be changed is there is a low scrapping noise as I am braking. It continues for a second even after I stop. The brake discs on one side of the car are discoloured (rust?). I was thinking they need to be changed too

I general, the car runs ok for one with almost 120K miles. The tires wear evenly and the only noise is the one I mentioned when braking. No smells or visual queues. I don't think there is much rust but I'll find out when I get working on it

Thanks for the information you provided

Old 09-17-2012, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Paul DD
MazdaTirol

I checked in the local auto store and they didn't have a Mazda 3 manual either. I thought they were just out of stock

I'm going to start with the oil change, air filter, oil filter and tire rotation as you suggest. I can move on from there when done. What belts need to be changed?
Just the normal fan(accessory) belt if it is starting to crack or squeal. When you change the oil make sure the engine is warm, not hot but warm is good, it makes the oil thinner so it drains better and it stirs up dirt and crud that get suspended and also drain out.

The brake pads look to have some meat on them. All four were changed 30K miles ago. Would they be due a change? Also, what makes me think they need to be changed is there is a low scrapping noise as I am braking. It continues for a second even after I stop. The brake discs on one side of the car are discoloured (rust?). I was thinking they need to be changed too.
If you have rust on a rotor after braking but not on any others then you might have a caliper issue on that side, the caliper could be stuck or there is an issue with the pad on that side, can you take pictures of the bad rotor and a good one?

I general, the car runs ok for one with almost 120K miles. The tires wear evenly and the only noise is the one I mentioned when braking. No smells or visual queues. I don't think there is much rust but I'll find out when I get working on it

Thanks for the information you provided
I have not received a reply from Haynes as of yet but its only Monday afternoon right now. Also when you do an oil change make SURE that the old oil filter seal came off with the filter as is not stuck to the engine still, if it is and you miss it then install the new filter the engine will puke oil everywhere when its started due to two seals being installed.

Old 09-18-2012, 04:11 AM

MazdaTirol

Here are photos of my brake discs and pads. Hopefully you can make an assessment based on these

04 Mazda 3 1.6 service-img_0414.jpg

04 Mazda 3 1.6 service-img_0417.jpg

04 Mazda 3 1.6 service-img_0415.jpg

04 Mazda 3 1.6 service-img_0416.jpg

Old 09-18-2012, 05:55 AM

Well those are some great pics! The left rear is definitely NOT working right, same with your front right, there are bands on the rotor where the pads are not even contacting anymore. What makes me think a bit is why the right rear has no rust on it at all, plus its pad is pretty thin. It looks like you need to do a complete brake service, new pads, possibly new calipers and definitely new rotors. Did it rain last night?

Old 09-18-2012, 09:55 AM

I'm in Ireland...it rains most nights And it did rain last night. The left side of my car would be more exposed to the weather due to the way I park st my house

So new pads, discs and calipers all round then?

Old 09-18-2012, 10:11 AM

And brake fluid I just as I was writing that got an email from Haynes, here is my and then their exact words:

Hello,
Do you have or produce a manual for a 2004 & 2006 Mazda 3 (1st Gen)? Both have the 1.6L engine, I cant find any Mazda 3 manuals on the UK site but there is one on the US side although that wont cover the 1.4 or 1.6 since those are not an option in the US.

Thanks for any help!

Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately we have not published a UK manual at present for the Mazda 3.

The American market manual will provide useful coverage of the saloon body only and not the hatchback or MPS model.

We apologise for the inconvenience caused.

Is there a plan for a printing of the manual? There are LOTS of 3's running around here in Europe, I am actually quite shocked there are no modern (3,5,6 e.t.c) Mazda manuals from you only the old 323s 626s etc. The US book will not help me much since I do have the hatchback and the 1.6L which is not avail in the US.

Thanks for your reply!!

Thank you for your reply.

The Mazda 3 is under consideration at the moment. However we do not have any plans to publish a manual within the next 12 to 18 months.

We apologise for the inconvenience caused.

On their site they say they publish a manual when the production quantity of the car warrants it.................................I kinda think after almost 10 years of production that there would be many many many shining examples for them to use and make a manual from. Ah well maybe we should make our own manuals by all the posts we have here

Old 09-25-2012, 07:01 AM

@MazdaTirol

I hit a problem as soon as I got started Don't know if you have any suggestions. I posted for help - https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/maz...14/#post131597