Mazda2 This new subcompact applies a sporty look and feel to a great economy car.

Mazda 2 newbie with a couple of questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2020, 05:26 AM
Default Mazda 2 newbie with a couple of questions

Hi all,

So pleased there's a Mazda 2 forum to join! I recently bought a 2016 Mazda 2 Sport Nav and am getting used to the Mazda way of life (a bit different compared to the quiet, floaty, laid-back Citroen C4 Coupé I had previously!). So far I'm really pleased with it – it looks great, is fun to drive and has a smarter interior than many small cars. I have a couple of questions and wondered if the good people of this forum might be able to answer them?

Air con: I have the climate control version and I've noticed the air con compressor turns on and off and on and off etc quite rapidly when the air con's on. I counted the time between off and on to be around 8 seconds. You can feel/hear the 'clunk' as it turns on when stationary. I've never had such a rapid cycle on previous cars so took it to Mazda (as I got a 1yr warranty with the car when I bought it) to get it looked at. They gave the air con a service and re-gas but it's still doing it. I spoke to the service chap and he said that's normal for the Mazda 2, and it can be more rapid in hot weather (which it is now). I wonder if everyone else finds their air con the same?

Road noise: I do find the 2 a noisy little beast! Specifically road noise in the cabin. The dealer had put 4 new Nankang Greensports on (185/60/R16) which I know are pretty cheap tyres. I was wondering if anyone had upgraded from these to a different tyre and noticed a difference in road noise? I see the Dunlop Enasave's are rated as quieter but are pricey (almost 3x the price of the Nankangs). I know the db level of tyres is a complex thing and is normally the noise level from outside the vehicle, but any thoughts would be appreciated. On the other hand, has anyone added any sound deadening to their 2?

One thing I love about the 2 is the amount of toys you get! I do miss an auto-dimming mirror though (I drive in the evenings quite a bit) and wondered if anyone had fitted one? I see they're available to buy. It's cheaper to pick one up on ebay but I can't find a wiring harness to suit.

Thanks all, I really appreciate your time if you have any answers to the above!

Old 06-25-2020, 03:25 AM
Super Moderator

AC sound completely normal.

Mazda 2 doesn't have very good NVH protection, tyres can make a big difference..