Mazda2 This new subcompact applies a sporty look and feel to a great economy car.

Was I rip off on MOT?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2023, 07:58 AM
Default Was I rip off on MOT?

Hallo there,
I have Mazda 2 2011

I was charged for 4 labour hours for replacement both rear shock absorbers and their "top mounts" - is it really so time consuming? What even is this top mounts"?

Thank You

Last edited by the_bart123; 12-22-2023 at 08:00 AM. Reason: forgotten message
Old 12-22-2023, 10:51 AM

Unless you are willing to post the actual final billing information on the service no one can answer that without asking several questions which even then would only be a speculative guess.
Also, without know where you live can have a large effect on your final cost! Your location as "here" ( ) does not help to help you? And lastly the and miles on your MAZDA is needed on any forum when asking for service advise!

Old 12-22-2023, 03:23 PM

I didn't say how that garage charges per hour because many garages charge differently per hour - the reason I said only they charged me for 4 hours.
But if that helps - 4x £50 = £200 + VAT = about £250

But I would prefer the answer like "it can be done in ABOUT 1 hour or it can be done in ABOUT 5 hours" ------- if someone will say 1 hour - I would know I was ripped off - if someone would say 5 hours I would know I paid cheap.

I do not need specific time - just roughly

Old 12-22-2023, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by the_bart123
I didn't say how that garage charges per hour because many garages charge differently per hour - the reason I said only they charged me for 4 hours.
But if that helps - 4x £50 = £200 + VAT = about £250

But I would prefer the answer like "it can be done in ABOUT 1 hour or it can be done in ABOUT 5 hours" ------- if someone will say 1 hour - I would know I was ripped off - if someone would say 5 hours I would know I paid cheap.

I do not need specific time - just roughly
LOL I didn't ask you how much an hour they charged I asked to know the specific details of what was done. NOT IN YOUR WORDS but EXACTLY what was on the work or service order, invoice or whatever you call it there was???

There is NO roughly about this without the complete information no matter what country you live in ?

Old 12-23-2023, 04:35 PM

Apologies for confusion
[size=16px]replacement both rear shock absorbers and their "top mounts" in Mazda 2 2011[/size]

Old 12-24-2023, 09:18 AM

Apologies for confusion
[size=16px]replacement both rear shock absorbers and their "top mounts" in Mazda 2 2011[/size]
Ok but I don't get it I am asking specific questions with answers that are not helping?
Again, if I don't know the exact service write up or you supply the copy less personal information you keep posting partial information?
This is getting us nowhere.
At this point because you are so secretive you should call some local shops and another Mazda dealership and see if they are willing to give you a rough labor and parts estimate based on not seeing the MAZDA and not knowing everything about its condition and the condition of the area to be serviced.

Honestly I am not going to go through a complete Q&A to get all the information you seem to not want to give??? Makes me wonder why?

Old 12-24-2023, 04:59 PM

Basically I look for perso who did that job before and say "it is simple job and should take 1 hour" OR "it is complicated job and it takes 4 hours"
One of those answers would answer my question

Old 12-24-2023, 05:23 PM

Basically I look for perso who did that job before and say "it is simple job and should take 1 hour" OR "it is complicated job and it takes 4 hours"
One of those answers would answer my question
***ROLMAO sorry my "8" ball when I asked said "ask again later"!

Look it is not as simple as that but here you go... sure its a simple job 1-2 hours
But if there was problems that can only be described on the service order then ....
No it would not have been a simple job and the labor time would/may be more ..... and you need to fill in what the service shop did EXACTLY and the explanation.
You first response does not even give the full information about your Mazda

Do you tell your Doctor when he/she asks where does it hurt you answer on my body? LOL

In the end you were charged I am sure signed the work order and you paid for the service... really there is nothing even legally you can do about that now!
At least in the USA and the contracts or agreement that were signed by you for a service.

Last edited by Callisto; 12-24-2023 at 05:28 PM.
Old 12-24-2023, 07:38 PM

In the USA with many credit cards you have a satisfaction guarantee. Consumers using and businesses accepting those cards as a payment method agree to those terms. After a reasonable attempt to resolve a service experience with the place of purchase you can file a dispute. They will do a short investigation gathering details then refund your charge. Sometimes the bank issuing the card will write this off as a loss, other times they debit the merchant. If that happens of course courts can come in but you as the card holder almost always win. Pay with a check or cash you get no protections.

All that said, I see nothing strange about 4 hours to replace both rear shocks. Time to diagnose, time to gather parts, time to do the actual work, time to verify the repair, time to write up the job. Seems fair.

Old 12-25-2023, 09:08 AM

A service contract is not under the terms of a credit card dispute for several reasons the main one is that you signed the work order in advance agreeing for the service performed. The only very small grey area would be if the price change regarding the parts. The other reason is most all shop are required by law in most states to have the hourly labor rate posted in clear site.
I think if anyone checks with their bank or credit card company, they will tell these to facts.

I am not sure where the 4 hours came into the last response for labor time? Its not really accurate See Mazda service labor times retail and warranty as well ALLDATA for the service of the ops Mazda standard replacement of rear dampeners only.

Quick Reply: Was I rip off on MOT?