Mazda2 This new subcompact applies a sporty look and feel to a great economy car.

2003 Mazda 2 P0610 error code

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2020, 03:03 PM
Angry 2003 Mazda 2 P0610 error code

Hi Guys,

looking for advise of how to fix my Mazda 2 with CEL ON and showing P0610 code. Tried all the following.
1) cleaning the PCM connectors.
2) Cleaning the engine bay.
3) Cleaning the MAF sensor.
4) Replacing the PCM. When I did this PCM got fried.

So, 1) Can anyone help me to locate the Ground and source wires on my car??
2) Can anyone help me in how to inspect the wiring harness. Which is couldn’t have done it right??
3) Can anyone help me to to fix this issue please please.

Old 03-20-2020, 11:49 PM
Super Moderator

DTC P0610 Control module vehicle options errorDETECTION CONDITION

• PCM data configuration error
• This is a continuous monitor (CCM).
• The MIL illuminates if PCM detects the above malfunction conditions in the first consecutive drive cycle.
• The PENDING CODE is available if the PCM detects the above malfunction condition.
• The FREEZE FRAME DATA is available.
• The DTC is stored in the PCM memory. POSSIBLE CAUSE

• The Configuration procedure has not been completed
• PCM malfunction

Old 03-21-2020, 06:33 AM

Hi Grim,

if I re-program my PCM then the DTC will disappear??

thank you

Old 03-21-2020, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator

Its possible.

Only people I know who can reprogram it is a Mazda dealership.

Old 03-11-2021, 07:49 AM

I have a Mazda 3 that had the same code. When the car was started cold the PCM would throw P0610 and speedometer and odometer would not work. Clearing the trouble codes (DTC) would not make the check engine light (MIL) go away. After the car was properly warmed up and restarted, speedometer and odometer would work and the codes could be cleared and the car would work as normal, until it cooled down too much and the same thing happened again.
Other users on this forum seem to be having the same problem.

I wasted over 400€ having the dealer re-program my PCM and check for electrical faults. No wiring issue, reprogramming of PCM did not help. Further searching led me to various hacking communities, where I learned that the 93C56 chip that the PCM uses to store configuration data will not reliably hold data over time.
I bought a good ELM-327 OBD-II interface (i.e. one using a genuine ELM chip) and paid for FORScan to access programming features. I took a couple of dumps of the AS-BUILT configuration data block while the car was cold and a couple of dumps when the car was hot, and I noticed a single bit being flipped. Flipping this bit would cause the data checksum to not match. My Mazda 3 gets its speed readings from the ABS unit - the speedometer and odometer not working was down to the PCM not communicating with the ABS unit as the configuration was deemed invalid.
I used FORScan to write the "hot" dump back into the configuration block while the car was cold, and the problem went away. Speedo and odo now work in freezing weather.

Depending on your circumstances this might not help (especially if the P0610 is constant and no amount of temperature change fixes it), but it might be worth a look.